The US has recorded over 3 million Covid-19 infections already in November — and the month isn't over yet.
If you're just reading in now, here are the latest coronavirus headlines coming out of the US.
- 33 states are showing upward trends in new Covid-19 cases. New Mexico, Kansas, Virginia and Louisiana are up over 50% in the past week. Just three states are showing downward trends in new cases.
- Yesterday saw 142,732 new cases reported in the US, according to Johns Hopkins University data, along with 921 new deaths. There have been near 1.2 million new cases in the past 7 days, the highest seven-day total in the US since the start of the pandemic.
- The average of new cases over the last 7 days has climbed above 170,000 for the first time as of today. The daily average is increasing 15% week over week.
- There were 1,726,449 new daily tests reported on Sunday, according to The Covid Tracking Project. While this is a drop in testing from the previous three days, this is still the highest testing ever reported on a Sunday.
- The US has had 13 consecutive days of record-breaking current hospitalizations. There were 83,870 hospitalizations reported on Sunday, according to CTP data. This is the highest this metric has ever been.
- In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom and health officials have implored residents to avoid gatherings and implemented an overnight curfew for the vast majority of the state starting on Saturday. The state reported 13,005 new coronavirus cases on Friday, shattering the state’s record for the most new cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic. The unprecedented number of new infections surpassed the state’s previous peak of 12,807 reported in July when California last experienced a surge in cases.
- Since Gov. Ron DeSantis reopened Florida in late September, the number of reported Covid-19 cases per week in the state has tripled. On Sept. 25, DeSantis signed an executive order reopening the state, freeing restaurants and bars to operate at 100% capacity. In the week leading up to the order, Florida reported more than 17,000 new cases. In the past 7 days, the state has reported more than 53,000 — meaning three times more Floridians have tested positive in the past week than in the week before the reopening.
Here's a look at where Covid-19 cases are rising across the country compared to the previous week, according to Johns Hopkins University data: