August 30 coronavirus news

By Joshua Berlinger, Jenni Marsh, Emma Reynolds, Fernando Alfonso III and Amir Vera, CNN

Updated 4:01 PM ET, Mon August 31, 2020
23 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
4:09 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Twitter removes QAnon supporter's false claim about coronavirus death statistics which Trump had re-tweeted

From CNN's Daniel Dale and Jamie Gumbrecht

Twitter took down a tweet containing a false claim about coronavirus death statistics Sunday afternoon that was made by a supporter of the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory – a post that President Donald Trump had retweeted earlier Sunday.

The tweet has been replaced with a message saying: “This Tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter Rules.”

The claim from tweeter "Mel Q," copied from someone else’s Facebook post, was that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had “quietly” updated its numbers “to admit that only 6%” of people listed coronavirus deaths “actually died from Covid,” since “the other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses."

Trump shared the false information with his 85 million-plus followers. As of 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, the now deleted "Mel Q" tweet Trump amplified had been retweeted more than 48,000 times.

Its latest regular update to a public statistics page on the pandemic, the CDC said that for 6% of the deaths included in its statistics, “Covid-19 was the only cause mentioned” on the deceased person’s death certificate. 

That is not at all the same thing as saying only 6% of reported Covid-19 deaths “actually died” from Covid-19. It simply means that the other 94% were listed as having at least one additional factor contributing to their death.

For example, the other 94% includes people whose death certificate listed both Covid-19 and obesity, both Covid-19 and diabetes, or both Covid-19 and heart disease -- among other conditions. 

People can live with obesity, diabetes or heart disease for years but then get infected with Covid-19 and die quickly. The fact that they also had an underlying condition does not mean that Covid-19 was not a major reason, or the major reason, they died when they did. 

3:39 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Georgia reports under 1,300 cases for first time since June

From CNN’s Natasha Chen

The Georgia Department of Public Health reported 1,298 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday. That’s the first time the state has reported under 1,300 cases in over two months.

The state of Georgia last reported 1,215 cases on June 22, according to state records.

Georgia also reported an additional 28 deaths.

In total, there have been 268,973 cases across the state of Georgia and 5,604 total statewide deaths.

1:52 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Florida reports more than 2,500 new Covid-19 cases and 14 deaths

From CNN's Melissa Alonso  

Florida health officials reported 2,583 new Covid-19 cases and 14 additional resident deaths on Sunday, according to the Florida Department of Health (DOH).  

This is the lowest daily death figure reported by the state since June 22 when 12 deaths were reported, CNN's tally showed.   

The state has reported 614,753 positive cases among Florida residents and 621,586 total cases across the state, DOH data showed.         

There are 11,119 Florida residents who have died from the virus, the DOH said.

One thing to note: These numbers were released by Florida’s public health agency and may not line up exactly in real time with CNN’s database drawn from Johns Hopkins University and the Covid Tracking Project   

1:30 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Jordan records its highest daily number of locally transmitted Covid-19 cases

From Jomana Karadsheh

Jordan announced its highest daily number of locally transmitted Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic with 67 cases reported on Sunday. 

There were 61 cases in the capital Amman, according to the Jordanian health ministry. 

The country recorded 73 cases in total registered over the past 24 hours with six “imported” positives, according to the health ministry. Five of the imported cases were repatriated citizens who tested positive while in government quarantine and the sixth is a Jordanian truck driver who tested positive on arrival from Saudi Arabia. 

Some context: The government has ruled out a countrywide lockdown, opting for more localized shut downs, stricter enforcement of measures that include an extended nighttime curfew, and an increase in the number of contact tracing teams. 

In March, Jordan implemented one of the strictest lockdowns in the world to combat the spread of the virus. 

Jordan is facing a “new wave” of the pandemic, Prime Minister Omar Razzaz said in a televised address last week. 

The number of cases began to surge this month with more than 700 positives recorded in August. The Jordanian government attributed the rise in infections to its land border crossings with Syria and Saudi Arabia which had remained open to commercial traffic. 

1:14 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

The number of coronavirus cases in the US approaches 6 million

From CNN's Chuck Johnston

There are at least 5,969,916 cases of coronavirus in the US and at least 182,841 people have died from the virus, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.

As of Sunday afternoon, 8,820 new cases and 80 new deaths have been reported in the US since midnight.    

The totals includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as repatriated cases.   

12:17 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Brazilian Health Ministry corrects Covid-19 death toll figures from Saturday

From Marcia Reverdosa

Andre Coelho/Getty Images
Andre Coelho/Getty Images

Brazil's Health Ministry issued a correction on Sunday regarding its daily Covid-19 death-toll figures for Saturday. 

On Saturday, Brazil surpassed 120,000 Covid-19 related deaths when the country's health ministry reported 758 new deaths, bringing the national death toll to 120,262. 

However, on Sunday, the ministry corrected these figures to 958 new Covid-19 deaths on Saturday, with a new total death toll of 120,462. 

According to the ministry, Saturday's original report was incorrect due to an error in the death toll reported by the Federal District (DF). Despite the mistake in death toll numbers, the ministry's report of 41,350 new cases for a total of 3,846,153 Covid-19 cases countrywide still stands.

Reports of Sunday's Covid-19 data have not yet been published. 

12:12 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Joe Biden says he would relaunch "PREDICT" virus detection program if elected

From CNN’s Sarah Mucha

Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Drew Angerer/Getty Images

If elected president, Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden pledged that he would re-launch "PREDICT," a program launched after the 2005 H1N1 virus that was designed to help detect and combat potential pandemic threats like Covid-19. 

The program, which was shut down in 2019, focused specifically on the detection and discovery of "zoonotic diseases." 

Some context: Biden has continually criticized President Trump on the campaign trail for shuttering the pandemic response office established under President Obama — officially called the Global Health Security and Biodefense unit — and promised to restore it if elected, so it is not surprising that he is now adding the "Predict" program to the list of pandemic response mechanisms he would reinstitute. 

"It did not have to be this bad. That's the greatest tragedy of all. Donald Trump's failures didn't just start in July, when he simply gave up in the face of surging infections. They didn't just begin in June, May, April, and March, when he refused to take basic public health measures to lay the groundwork for an effective recovery. Or even in January and February, when he ignored repeated warnings about Covid-19," Biden said in the statement.

Biden's statement continued, "I will re-launch and strengthen U.S. Agency for International Development's pathogen-tracking program called PREDICT, which Donald Trump eliminated."

The New York Times was first to report that Biden would restart this specific program. 

12:07 p.m. ET, August 30, 2020

Tennis player withdraws from US Open after positive Covid-19 test

From CNN's Jabari Jackson

A player scheduled to play in this week’s US Open has tested positive for coronavirus and has been withdrawn from the tournament, United States Tennis Association (USTA) has announced. 

In a statement issued on Sunday, the USTA revealed the player is asymptomatic and has “advised” the player to self-isolate for at least 10 days. In addition, the USTA has begun conducting contact tracing to determine if anyone else will need to “quarantine for 14 days.” 

The statement did not identify the player by name.

The 2020 US Open is set to begin Aug. 31 at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York. 

11:48 a.m. ET, August 30, 2020

MLB game Sunday postponed due to positive Covid-19 test

From CNN's Wayne Sterling

Cody Glenn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Cody Glenn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The Oakland Athletics and Houston Astros game scheduled for Sunday has been postponed "out of an abundance of caution" following a positive coronavirus test in the Athletics' organization, Major League Baseball (MLB) announced.

MLB said additional testing and contact tracing will be conducted. 

The game was slated to be played at Minute Maid Park in Houston.