Our live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic has moved here.
August 2 coronavirus news
Another 4,853 people were diagnosed with Covid-19 in Mexico, the country's Health Ministry said Sunday, bringing the nationwide total to 439,046.
The ministry also reported 274 new deaths, bring Mexico's death toll to 47,746.
Authorities reported a record 9,556 new cases Saturday. On Friday, Mexico coronavirus death toll surpassed that of the United Kingdom. Only the US and Brazil have seen more virus-related fatalities, according to Johns Hopkins University.
Doug Pederson, the head coach of the National Football League's Philadelphia Eagles, has tested positive for Covid-19, the team said in a statement.
Pederson is asymptomatic and "doing well" in self-quarantine, the team said.
Pederson has coached the Eagles since 2016. He led the team to its first-ever Super Bowl victory in 2018.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced Sunday he would reimpose tightened coronavirus restrictions on the capital city of Manila as the number of confirmed infections in the country passed 100,000.
The new restrictions, dubbed the “modified enhanced community quarantine,” will be imposed on Manila and the provinces of Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan starting at midnight Tuesday. The rules state that people younger than 21, those who are older than 60, those with health risks and pregnant women are required to remain in their residences. The only exceptions are for people to buy essentials and go to work, according to CNN affiliate CNN Philippines.
Duterte’s decision comes after at least 80 medical associations signed a letter urging the President to tighten restrictions. “We are exhausted, both physically and mentally. Most of us are already getting infected with COVID-19,” said Philippine College of Physicians President Mario Panaligan in an August 1 open letter, according to CNN Philippines.
Duterte also approved the hiring of 10,000 medical professionals and the calling to active duty and enlistment to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to assist the current health care workforce, said Henry Roque, presidential spokesperson, in a statement Monday morning.
The Philippines reported 5,032 new cases Sunday, bringing the nationwide total to 103,185, according to the Department of Health. The country has 2,059 confirmed deaths.
After being on a ventilator for six weeks due to Covid-19, Mayra Ramirez, 28, was so sick she needed a double lung transplant.
The Illinois woman went to the emergency room with Covid-19 symptoms April 26. Her condition became increasingly dire, she suffered irreversible damage to her lungs and she spent more than six weeks on a ventilator.
On June 5, she received a double lung transplant at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago. After a lengthy recovery, she is finally resting at home.
Ramirez and the surgeon who performed the operation, Dr. Ankit Bharat, shared their experience with CNN's Ana Cabrera.
This is not a hoax. This virus is real. It happened to me. It can happen to them," Ramirez said Sunday.
Fifteen state-supported Covid-19 testing sites will reopen Monday after closing because of Tropical Storm Isaias, according to a tweet from the Florida Division of Emergency Management.
The sites, located in Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties, were temporarily closed Thursday as the storm approached the state, as CNN previously reported.
Brazil's Health Ministry reported 541 new Covid-19 deaths Sunday, bringing the country's total to 94,104.
Latin America and the Caribbean surpassed 200,000 total deaths from the virus, with Brazil holding the highest number of deaths and accounting for nearly half the region's total.
The Brazilian Health Ministry also reported 25,800 newly confirmed cases, bringing the total number of cases in Brazil to 2,733,677.
Last week, first lady Michelle Bolsonaro and another two ministers in President Jair Bolsonaro's government tested positive for Covid-19. Since the beginning of the pandemic, eight high-ranking officials have been infected by the novel coronavirus. That includes the President, the first lady and six ministers. President Bolsonaro has since recovered and tested negative for the virus.
New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Céspedes decided to opt out of the season “for Covid-related” reasons, Brodie Van Wagenen, the baseball team's general manager, told SNY during a post game interview Sunday.
The news comes after Céspedes did not report to the ballpark for the team's game against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday and the Mets could not get in touch with him.
Van Wagenen said the Mets did not know the player was considering this and during the game was the first time the Mets were aware of his concerns.
The Mets had sent security to his hotel room, where he and his belongings were not found, the GM said.
Van Wagenen said the organization will “support” and “respect” Céspedes’ decision, as they would every player, because it's their right to decide. He did add that it was “surprising” without question.
The GM said Céspedes was safe and healthy and he wished his family the same.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health told CNN in an emailed statement Sunday that it is investigating reports of a private indoor party.
Dozens of patrons reportedly went to the Sassafras Saloon in Hollywood on Friday. Lisa Strangis, spokeswoman for 1933 Group, which owns the Sassafrass Saloon, said the owners had rented out the bar to someone who wanted to “honor a group of first responders.” While she said she was unwilling to name the first responder agency, Strangis said the renters paid for the space and 1933 Group employees worked the event.
We are investigating reports of a private indoor party and remind all businesses that have been ordered to close indoor operations that there are no exceptions. This is exactly the situation that puts our entire community at unnecessary risk,” the health department's statement read.
CNN was tipped off to the Friday night event by a source with direct knowledge of the party. The source was told it would involve 100 to 150 law enforcement personnel at Sassafras Saloon.
On July 13, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new round of statewide restrictions as California’s Covid-19 cases spiked. The restrictions halted all indoor dining and closed down bars unless they serve food. The state allows outdoor dining at restaurants.