São Paulo’s Carnival has been postponed until May or June next year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the city’s Mayor Bruno Covas announced during a news conference on Friday.
The decision involves both the parade of the samba schools and the street blocks that last year attracted 15 million people during three weeks, according to the mayor.
"We are still talking with the samba schools, the blocks and the other cities to define a new date. It is probably going to be between the end of May and the beginning of June," said Covas.
The mayor also announced two other events in the city were canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. The March for Jesus, a religious event that gathers the faithful of all Brazilian Christian churches, was initially pushed back from June to Nov. 2, and has now been canceled. Last year, the event attracted 3 million people, according to Covas.
The LGBTQ Pride Parade, São Paulo’s annual gay pride parade, was celebrated virtually in June with the actual parade postponed until Nov. 29, but that event was canceled, too.
About the numbers: São Paulo City reported a total of 202,571 Covid-19 cases and 9,168 deaths on Thursday afternoon. In the state of São Paulo, 44% of 20,532 registered deaths were reported in its capital, according to the last report released by City Hall.
São Paulo’s mayor said on Friday the city has seen an improvement in the fight against the pandemic but the fight is not over yet.