July 13 coronavirus news

72 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
2:01 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

"We haven't even begun to see the end of it yet," Fauci says of coronavirus

From CNN's Amanda Watts and Shelby Lin Erdman

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks during a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing on June 30 in Washington, DC.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks during a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing on June 30 in Washington, DC. Al Drago

Coronavirus is “clearly the most challenging” public health crisis he’s ever dealt with – including HIV, Ebola, Anthrax and Zika, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said during a webinar with Stanford School of Medicine on Monday.

“We haven’t even begun to see the end of it yet,” Fauci said of the virus.

As cases continue to surge across the US and the Trump administration pushes to reopen schools, Fauci has actively continued to warn about the seriousness of the pandemic.

Fauci told the Wall Street Journal in a podcast last week that the country must control crowds, get people to wear masks and do a better job on physical distancing to get on top of the surging coronavirus pandemic as cases spike across parts of the South and Southwest.

Fauci noted that in order to get children back in school this fall, the country has to maintain control over the pandemic.

“We have got to keep our eye on that,” he said.

1:58 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

McEnany won't say why White House put out anonymous statement attempting to discredit Fauci

From CNN's Jason Hoffman 

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, DC, on July 13.
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, DC, on July 13. Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany would not answer why the White House anonymously released a statement attempting to discredit Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert.

Asked by CNN’s Jim Acosta why the White House put out an opposition research style statement against Fauci from a “White House Official” without anybody putting their name to the statement, McEnany did not answer.

“There is no opposition research being dumped to reporters. We were asked a very specific quest by 'The Washington post,' and that question was President Trump noted that Dr. Fauci made some mistakes, and we provided a direct answer to what was a direct question,” McEnany said.

Pressed about putting a statement out from an anonymous source, something Trump has criticized in the past, McEnany again declined to answer, instead saying that Trump and Fauci have “always had a very good working relationship.”

CNN has reported that the White House is making a concerted effort to discredit Fauci as he becomes increasingly vocal about his concerns over reopening the country as coronavirus cases surge. The two men have not spoken in weeks.

WATCH:

1:40 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

More than 282,000 coronavirus cases have been recorded in Florida

From CNN’s Dan Shepherd and Rosa Flores

A member of the Florida National Guard directs vehicles at a COVID-19 testing site at the Miami Beach Convention Center on July 12 in Miami Beach, Florida.
A member of the Florida National Guard directs vehicles at a COVID-19 testing site at the Miami Beach Convention Center on July 12 in Miami Beach, Florida. Lynne Sladky/AP

The number of total coronavirus cases in Florida is now 282,435, up 12,624 cases since Sunday, according to the state's Department of Health.

More than half of positive coronavirus cases were people ages 25 to 54 year old, with the highest age group being 25-34 year-olds representing 20% of the total number.

If Florida were a country, it would be the fourth-highest in the world in reporting new cases. The state would rank 10th in terms of having the most cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins.

1:36 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

JetBlue to continue blocking middle seats through September 8

From CNN's Pete Muntean

A plane operated by JetBlue takes off from JFK Airport on August 24, 2019 in the Queens borough of New York City.
A plane operated by JetBlue takes off from JFK Airport on August 24, 2019 in the Queens borough of New York City. Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

JetBlue says it will continue to block all middle seats through September 8, extending a policy that was set to expire at the end of the month. 

The policy also blocks sale of aisle seats on smaller aircraft.

Southwest and Delta also have policies that limit the number of seats sold on a given flight. 

The other major carriers, American Airlines and United, both have said they will sell every seat on their flights.

1:26 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

New Mexico closes indoor restaurant seating as Covid-19 cases rise

From CNN’s Konstantin Toropin

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has re-enacted restrictions on indoor seating at restaurants and breweries in response to a rise in Covid-19 cases in the state, a statement from her office said.

The new public health order again prohibits indoor dining at restaurants, which had been allowed with limits since June 1, and restricts indoor seating at breweries, which was allowed with limits since June 15, according to the statement.

The latest numbers: In the past two weeks, the state has seen at least 3,049 new positive cases of Covid-19, representing 20.2% of the total positive cases statewide over the course of the pandemic, according to the governor’s office.

However, the state’s infection rates are not as serious as its neighbor, Arizona, which has led the nation for over a month with the highest seven-day average of new coronavirus cases per 100,000 people, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.

Both restaurants and breweries can still seat people outdoors at 50% of their capacity and restaurants can continue to operate carry out, pickup and delivery services, the statement said.

The governor also tightened restrictions on gyms and other “close contact businesses” like tattoo shops and salons. Those establishments are now limited to 25% of their maximum capacity, the statement said.

1:21 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

NBA star Russell Westbrook says he tested positive for Covid-19

From CNN's Jabari Jackson

Houston Rockets guard Russell Westbrook announced he has tested positive for coronavirus. 

In a statement issued on social media, Westbrook said he’s feeling well as he anticipates joining his teammates once cleared from the virus. 

“I tested positive for Covid-19 prior to my team’s departure to Orlando,” Westbrook said in the statement. “I’m currently feeling well, quarantined, and looking forward to rejoining my teammates when I am cleared. Thank you all for the well wishes and continued support. Please take the virus seriously. Be safe. Mask up. #whynot”   

Westbrook and another teammate, James Harden, haven’t joined the rest of the team in Orlando ahead of the NBA restart. The Rockets tip off the season against the Dallas Mavericks on July 31.

Read the tweet:

1:06 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

White House wants to tie new stimulus money for schools to their reopening

From CNN's Sarah Westwood

Des Moines Public Schools custodian Cynthia Adams cleans a desk in a classroom at Brubaker Elementary School on July 8 in Des Moines, Iowa.
Des Moines Public Schools custodian Cynthia Adams cleans a desk in a classroom at Brubaker Elementary School on July 8 in Des Moines, Iowa. Charlie Neibergall/AP

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is working on a supplemental funding request for education that would essentially create a new pot of money for schools — but one that districts can only access if they commit to reopening, a source familiar with the plan tells CNN. 

The White House has been told it cannot withhold existing funding from schools to get them to open their classrooms. This is a new working strategy to get around the rules: Instead of threatening baseline funding, the White House will just try to offer additional money to provide an advantage to schools that reopen.

The proposal, which is for now in the works as part of the White House proposal for the next stimulus bill, provides yet another example of aides scrambling to find a workable avenue for plans President Donald Trump has announced without warning or preparation.

Some context: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on CNN yesterday would not deny that the administration would look at withholding funds from schools in order to force their hands. And earlier this morning, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow suggested in an interview with Fox News that there may be a financial incentive for local governments that reopen their schools amid the President’s push to reopen. 

12:55 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

More than 135,000 people have died from coronavirus in the US

There are at least 3,323,432 cases of coronavirus in the US, and at least 135,272 people have died, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally of cases.

 On Monday, Johns Hopkins reported 18,490 new cases and 67 reported deaths.  

The totals include cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as repatriated cases. 

1:02 p.m. ET, July 13, 2020

Patriot League to cancel all competition in the 2020 fall season citing Covid-19 pandemic

From CNN's Jabari Jackson

Georgetown Hoyas Running Back Herman Moultrie III runs past Holy Cross Crusaders defenders during a Patriot League college football game on November 17, 2018 at Cooper Field in Washington, DC.
Georgetown Hoyas Running Back Herman Moultrie III runs past Holy Cross Crusaders defenders during a Patriot League college football game on November 17, 2018 at Cooper Field in Washington, DC. Bradley Rex/Icon Sportswire/Getty Images

The Patriot League has canceled all fall college sports for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The league added a decision on winter sports will be “made at a later date.”

In a statement issued on Monday, the league detailed its plan to cancel the fall sports season as a result of health and safety concerns for all parties involved. Conditioning, strength training and other practice events in all sports “will be permitted provided health and safety conditions support such activities.” 

The United States Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy will be allowed to continue to “engage” in competition “as considered appropriate by their respective Superintendents.” 

The league will also consider having fall sport competition and championships in the spring semester to provide “future competitive experiences to our fall sport student-athletes.”