New York City will reexamine and possibly pause indoor dining, which had been set to resume next week in phase three of reopening, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
The decision comes as coronavirus cases continue to rise across the US.
The rest of phase three is moving on pace for next Monday, July 6, de Blasio said, “but the indoor dining element is now in question.”
He added that it may be paused or modified and there will be more to come in the next few days.
What is “clearly working” is outdoor dining, de Blasio said, adding “we want to double down on outdoor dining.” The city will be reaching out to every restaurant that has not yet applied to help foster this progress.
New York City moved into phase two of reopening last week, which allowed restaurants to resume dine-in service outside.
De Blasio also announced today that barbecue areas in parks will be open for this coming July 4 weekend.