The College Board is no longer preparing an at-home SAT test this year, the American organization announced Tuesday, as it continues to navigate testing in the United States during the coronavirus pandemic.
“The College Board will pause on offering an at-home SAT this year because taking it would require three hours of uninterrupted, video-quality internet for each student, which can’t be guaranteed for all,” according to a statement.
When the May and June SAT test dates were cancelled earlier this spring due to safety concerns amidst the pandemic, the organization made clear that an at-home test option would be available if schools did not return to in-person instruction in the fall.
The organization said it is working to expand availability of the SAT at in-person test facilities starting in August, with test dates every month and into January 2021, if there is demand for it.
The College Board also addressed the issues people have been having with registering for fall SAT test dates by calling on member colleges to accept scores as late in their processes as possible, consider students who have not taken the test on the same playing field on those who have, and keep in mind that students may not have been able to take the test more than once.
“We know demand is very high and the registration process for students and families under this kind of pressure is extremely stressful,” College Board CEO David Coleman said in a statement. “There are more important things than tests right now. In making these difficult decisions we focused on reducing the anxiety that students and families are experiencing this year. We therefore are asking our member colleges to be flexible toward students who can’t submit scores, who submit them later, or who did not have a chance to test more than once.”
On May 28, the College Board opened registration for students most in need of a testing date, namely rising high school seniors, to reserve for fall SAT.
Due to the high volume of registrations shortly after the registration window opened, the College Board tweeted that “students can expect interruptions and delays online,” as people continued to try and register.