March 15 coronavirus news

125 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
9:53 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Las Vegas resorts begin to shut down operations

From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

The Las Vegas strip is feeling the effects of coronavirus as a number of resorts and casinos close in an effort to create social distancing.

Wynn Resorts has announced it will close its Wynn Las Vegas and Encore properties beginning on Tuesday and continuing for two weeks.

MGM Resorts will close its properties, announcing casino operations will close on Monday and properties will close on Tuesday.

Caesars Entertainment announced on their verified Twitter that all live ticketed performance would be suspended beginning Sunday night.

Travelers share their coronavirus complications:

9:40 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Panama will limit entry into the country to residents and citizens, president says

From CNN’s Patrick Oppmann and Jackie Castillo

Only citizens and residents of Panama will be able to enter the country starting Sunday, Panamanian President Nito Cortizo announced in a tweet.

Panamanian travelers and residents allowed entry will have to complete a 14-day period of home quarantine to combat the spread of coronavirus nationwide, he said.

 

9:47 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Bahamas confirms first case of coronavirus

From CNN's Patrick Oppmann 

Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis announced the country's first confirmed case of coronavirus, according to a tweet from his office Sunday. 

The first person to contract the virus is a 61-year-old woman with no recent history of relevant travel, Minnis said in his tweet. 

She is being treated in isolation at a hospital in Nassau. 

Here's how the novel coronavirus outbreak unfolded:

9:22 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

First US Navy sailor tests positive for virus aboard ship

From CNN’s Ryan Browne and Barbara Starr

The USS Boxer during an amphibious exercise in the East Sea between Japan and South Korea in a file photo from March 8, 2016.
The USS Boxer during an amphibious exercise in the East Sea between Japan and South Korea in a file photo from March 8, 2016. Seaman Craig Z. Rodarte/US Navy via Getty Images

A sailor serving aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer received a presumptive positive coronavirus test, the first case of a sailor aboard a Navy ship, according to a US Navy news release.

Personnel that the individual immediately identified having close contact with have been notified and are in self-isolation at their residences, the release said.

“The individual is currently quarantined at home in accordance with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines,” the release said. “Personnel that the individual immediately identified having close contact with have been notified and are in self-isolation at their residences. None of them is aboard the ship currently.”

Earlier on Sunday, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar announced in statement that a second Marine stationed at the base in California has tested positive for coronavirus. 

The air station is conducting an investigation to determine who may have had contact with the Marine and notify them of the situation. The Marine was placed into isolation in a barracks room at the base designated for quarantine, the statement said

 

9:36 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

New Orleans calls for early restaurant closures

From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

People wait in line outside the renowned Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans on Sunday.
People wait in line outside the renowned Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans on Sunday. Chris Graythen/Getty Images

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell has ordered all full-service restaurants with seating capacity to close at 9 p.m., according to a release from the city.

Mayor Cantrell has further asked establishments to attempt to reduce capacity by half. New Orleans joins a number of other cities and states attempting to slow the progress of coronavirus by encouraging social distancing.

See landmarks and cities deserted worldwide:

8:49 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Maine governor declares state of emergency, recommends school closures

From CNN’s Gregory Clary

Maine Gov. Janet Mills speaks at a news conference in Augusta, Maine, on Thursday.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills speaks at a news conference in Augusta, Maine, on Thursday. Robert F. Bukaty/AP

Maine Gov. Janet Mills declared a state of emergency Sunday and recommended school closures statewide, according to a news release from her office.

Mills is recommended postponing events with 50 or more people as well as the postponement of "all non-urgent medical procedures, elective surgeries, and appointments at hospitals and health care providers across the state until further notice."

8:46 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Massachusetts bans eating and drinking at bars and restaurants until at least April 17

From CNN's Laura Ly

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced Sunday that he is "banning all on-premises eating and drinking at all restaurants and bars throughout the state, but will still allow establishments to offer food for takeout or delivery."

"Establishments must also follow the social distancing protocols set forth in the Department of Public Health guidance," Baker said.

The order goes into effect Tuesday and will be in effect until at least April 17, Baker said.

Baker also said he is prohibiting gatherings of more than 25 people.

"Subject to this order, these gatherings include all community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based events sporting events with spectators, concerts, conventions, and any similar event or activity that brings together 25 or more people in a single room or a single space at the same time. This includes venues like fitness centers, private clubs and theaters," Baker said.
8:45 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Grand Princess cruise ship to temporarily anchor in San Francisco Bay 

From CNN’s Stella Chan

The Grand Princess ship in San Francisco on March 9.
The Grand Princess ship in San Francisco on March 9. Noah Berger/AP

The Grand Princess cruise ship will leave the Port of Oakland Sunday at 7 p.m. PST and will temporarily anchor in San Francisco Bay, according to a news release from the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services.

Crew members aboard the ship will disembark for chartered flights from a non-commercial portion of San Francisco International Airport, the release says.

Those disembarking for charted flights Sunday will undergo the same health screenings as passengers from the Grand Princess.

As of Saturday, state and federal officials have disembarked more than 2,900 people from the Grand Princess, including more than 2,400 passengers and more than 500 crew members, the release said.

8:11 p.m. ET, March 15, 2020

Vice President Pence says new guidelines on curfews and social distancing to come Monday

From Jason Hoffman and Nicky Robertson

Vice President Pence said there will be new guidelines released Monday morning regarding potential curfews or closures of such locations as restaurants.

Pence said those guidelines are being vetted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for now, the federal government is deferring to decisions made by state and local governments.

"What my health care team, some of the best people in the world, tell me very regularly is that it's very important that you follow the data, you make decisions based on the circumstances that are taking place in that community," Pence said.