March 29 coronavirus news
President Donald Trump announced Sunday he is extending social distancing guidelines until April 30.
"We will be extending our guidelines to April 30, to slow the spread. On Tuesday, we will be finalizing these plans and providing a summary of our findings, supporting data and strategy to the American people," Trump said.
Modeling shows that the peak of the death rate will likely hit in two weeks, Trump said.
"The modeling estimates that the peak in death rate is likely to hit in two weeks, so I will say it again, the peak, highest point of death rates, remember this, is likely to hit in two weeks. Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory is won," Trump said.
Trump said he hopes the country will be on its way to recovery by June 1.
"We can expect that by June 1, we will be well on our way to recovery, we think by June 1. A lot of great things will be happening," Trump said.
Musician John Prine was hospitalized Thursday after a "sudden onset" of coronavirus symptoms, according to a statement posted by his family on his verified Twitter account.
Prine was intubated Saturday night and continues to receive care but "his situation is critical," the statement said.
Prine has fought several battles with cancer, including surgery that removed a piece of his neck and changed the tone of his voice, deepening it and giving it a gravelly sound. In 2013, he had surgery for lung cancer.
New York Mayor de Blasio said Sunday that 169 clinicians -- physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants -- have been sent recently to Elmhurst Hospital to assist in treating coronavirus patients.
De Blasio said 55 ventilators have been sent to Elmhurst over the past two weeks.
The Queens hospital has been among the hardest hit in New York City, although the number of cases in other NYC hospitals is expected to follow Elmhurst's lead, de Blasio said.
Within Elmhurst Hospital, staffers have been moved from outpatient areas to assist in the ICU. Staff from central office are moving in and taking on roles in the ICU and in the emergency department, de Blasio said, adding that the city will keep moving personnel to help Elmhurst and every other hospital that needs it.
Visa has offered its Team Visa Olympic and Paralympic athletes the opportunity to extend their sponsorship with Visa into 2021. This was previously reported by The Associated Press.
Visa released a statement:
"Visa is committed to supporting and celebrating our diverse and global roster of 90+ Team Visa athletes. We are proud of the program and the Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls that make up our roster. We have offered our Team Visa athletes the opportunity to extend their relationship with Visa to support them along their new road to Tokyo next year."
Adam Peaty of Great Britain, Team Visa swimmer, also released a statement:
"Most people would agree these are unprecedented times for all of us but having Visa’s support makes these times of adversity quite a bit easier."
New York City’s emergency rooms are serving twice as many patients as usual and their intensive care units are three times more filled than usual, said Dr. Mitchell Katz, CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals, on Sunday.
NYC's health care providers are serving under very difficult conditions, but so far, everyone who has needed a ventilator has gotten one and that everyone needing PPE has gotten it, Katz said. NYC Health + Hospitals operates the public hospitals and clinics in New York City.
"I want to be clear that everyone who has needed a ventilator has gotten a ventilator. That people who need the protective equipment have gotten the protective equipment. But there is tremendous anxiety about the coming weeks," Katz said.
About 500 contract nurses were added to the NYC Health + Hospitals system this week and another 500 are expected next week, NYC Mayor de Blasio said Sunday.
The city sent 1,400 ventilators to hospitals throughout the city, but the overall number needed is 15,000, de Blasio said.
The Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas, Texas, will be the first alternative location in the state to care for coronavirus patients, although it is currently not needed, Gov. Greg Abbott said at a press conference Sunday.
The convention center has the capacity for 250 beds with room to expand if needed. More facilities like hotels and arenas throughout the state are being identified as potential coronavirus-care locations.
Currently, there are more than 16,000 hospital beds available for coronavirus patients in Texas. The number of hospitalized currently is less than 2% of available room capacity, according to Abbott.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has expanded an executive order that requires people traveling to Texas from certain destinations inside the US to be quarantined for 14 days.
Abbott’s previous order stated that people flying into Texas from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and the city of New Orleans be quarantined for 14 days.
The expanded version, announced by Abbott at a press conference Sunday afternoon, includes anyone driving from Louisiana and flying from the cities of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit and Miami. The states of Washington and California are included in the order.
Abbott also announced an executive order that stops "dangerous felons" from being released from the state’s jails and prisons early due to coronavirus.
"Releasing dangerous criminals makes the state even less safe," he said.
New hospital facilities in New Orleans will open no later than a week from Sunday, said Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards.
The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center will be converted into a hospital with a 1,000-bed capacity for coronavirus patients. The patients "are not going to be fragile," will not need ventilators and will be housed only for a short period of time.
As of Saturday night, 650 New York City inmates have been released due to coronavirus concerns, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday.
De Blasio has previously said that NYC’s inmate population was approximately 5,000 inmates. CNN has previously reported that those eligible for release are city inmates convicted of misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies, all with less than one year left on their sentence.
There are some inmates within that category with domestic violence or sexual offense charges that the city has determined they will not release at this time, according to de Blasio.
There has been a "significant reduction" in the city’s juvenile inmate population as well, de Blasio said.