
Canadian health officials on Sunday corrected erroneous data reported during a press conference held Saturday, saying that younger generations account for 12% of hospitalizations, not 30% as previously stated.
In a tweet, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Theresa Tam apologized for the error and said: “I misspoke on the percentage of hospitalized cases.”
“There was an error made. Based on a subset of case reports with age and hospitalization data, 12% (not 30%) of those hospitalized were under 40 years of age,” Health Canada wrote in an email sent to CNN.
“The case report forms lag behind the real time data, while they provide more in depth information for epidemiological analysis,” the statement said.
Other notable observations from the Public Health Agency of Canada analysis on Saturday showed that people over 60 were more likely to be hospitalized with 56% going to hospital for treatment. Of those, more than half were admitted to intensive care.
The information showed that most of the new cases in Canada were from community transmission and not from travel.
"We have now completed tests for over 184,000 people in Canada which is more than 84,000 additional people tested since Monday. In terms of the severity of Covid 19 in Canada, the percentage of cases that require hospitalization is approximately 7%. About 3% are critically ill and 1% of cases have been fatal," Tam said on Saturday.
UPDATE: This post was updated to reflect the latest data from Canadian officials.



