At least 4 killed in shooting at Michigan high school

By Adrienne Vogt, Aditi Sangal, Elise Hammond, Meg Wagner and Melissa Macaya, CNN

Updated 11:04 PM ET, Wed December 1, 2021
15 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
4:33 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Oakland County sheriff: Parents of suspect met with school officials morning of shooting

From CNN's Leinz Vales

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said Wednesday that the parents of the 15-year-old suspect in Tuesday's school shooting that left four students dead at Oxford High School in Michigan met with school officials that morning.

"The school did have contact with the student the day before and the day of the shooting, for behavior in the classroom that they felt was concerning," Bouchard said at a news conference.

"In fact, the parents were brought in the morning of the shooting and had a face-to-face meeting with the school," he said.

The sheriff continued, "The content of that meeting obviously is part of the investigation, but we did not learn of that meeting, nor of the content of that meeting until after the shooting and during this investigation."

Bouchard added that the shooting suspect "was released back into the school from the meeting."

3:36 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Shooter fired more than 30 shots and had 18 rounds of ammunition left, sheriff says

From CNN's Elise Hammond

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard (WDIV)

Authorities continue to uncover new details about what happened during a shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan that left at least four students dead

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said at a news conference on Wednesday that the shooter had 18 live rounds of ammunition left when he was taken into custody.

That is different from what was previously reported by the sheriff's office. Bouchard said they initially thought there were only seven rounds left in the suspects pocket, but they later found additional rounds in an actual magazine.

"We have still got a ton of interviews to do, video to review, documents to review, search warrants that have been completed that have to be examined in terms of content and items that were seized – so sometimes things evolve," Bouchard said.

Bouchard said authorities have recovered 30 shell castings while processing the scene, meaning the shooter fired more than 30 shots.

The sheriff also said law enforcement is joining with the prosecutor to ask that the shooter be transferred to the Oakland County Jail. He is currently being held at Oakland County Children's Village, a juvenile detention facility.

3:29 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Prosecutor says shooting was premeditated "well before the incident"

From CNN's Kristina Sgueglia

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald (CNN)

Authorities are considering charges against both parents of the suspect in the fatal Oxford Michigan high school shooting, with the prosecutor saying a decision would be made on that “swiftly."

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald said the shooting was premeditated “well before the incident,” adding that a “mountain of digital evidence” adds to the confidence in the charges of first-degree murder. 

The charge of first-degree murder “requires premeditation and I am absolutely sure after reviewing the evidence that it isn’t even a close call, it was absolutely premeditated” 

She said the digital evidence includes video tapes, social media and more.

“We have reviewed it,” she said and we are “confident that we can show it was premeditation.” 

When asked about how long this was premeditated, she said “well before the incident” without specifying. 

She would not comment on whether the victims were targeted. She also addressed the atypical decision to charge the suspect with a terrorism offense. 

“What about all these other children, what about all the children who ran, screaming, hiding under desks," she said. “What about all the children at home right now who can’t eat and can’t sleep and can’t imagine a world where they could ever step back in school – those are victims too and so are their families and so is the community and the charge of terrorism reflects that."

She also called for stronger gun laws, saying, “If the incident yesterday with four children being murdered and multiple children being injured is not enough to revisit our gun laws, I don’t know what is.”

The suspect faces life in prison as he has been charged as an adult, the prosecutor verified.

2:58 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

The shooter was right outside his classroom. Here's what one student said happened next.

From CNN's Elise Hammond

When the shooter was right outside his classroom, Zander Cumbey said all he could do was wait and hope they would be okay.

Cumbey is a student at Oxford High School who survived the shooting on Tuesday afternoon. He told CNN the gunshots were about 20 feet away from the classroom he and his classmates were hiding in.

"I heard screams come from the hallway and the first gun shot happened and my teacher, he walked into the classroom, he locked the door and he told us to call 911," Cumbey said. "Then we heard the rest of the gun shots go off, more screams."

He said he was on the phone with 911, but was not able to talk to the operator.

"I just said 'Oxford High School, shooter' because I couldn't talk. He was right outside my classroom," Cumbey said. "I had to be quiet. We were there, just waiting, hoping we would be okay."

He said all of the students huddled into the corner of the room least visible from the door. Some students were crying, others were texting their families to say they loved them.

"I texted both my parents, told them I loved them. I told them what was going on. I texted my grandparents. I texted my little brother who was also in the school trying to make sure to see if he was okay," Cumbey said.

On top of processing what happened, Cumbey is also mourning the loss of one of his friends who was shot and killed.

Tate Myre was one of the students who died. Cumbey said he and Myre had been close friends for five or six years and played on the same football team.

"He was a great person, a.great leader. He's just always wanted to make sure everyone was okay and involved in everything he could," Cumbey said.

2:31 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Parents of high school shooting suspect could also face charges, prosecutor says

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald (CNN)

Prosecutors are considering charges against the parents of the 15-year-old suspect in the school shooting that left four students dead in Oxford, Michigan, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald announced today.

The 15-year-old suspect has been charged with one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder and other charges. He will be charged as an adult.

"We are considering charges against both parents," McDonald said after announcing the charges against the suspect.

3:12 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

15-year-old suspect will be charged as an adult in deadly school shooting

The suspect in the Michigan high school shooting will be charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count terrorism causing death, among other charges.

The 15-year-old suspect is being charged as an adult, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald announced at a news conference.

The suspect also faces seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Additional charges are possible, McDonald said.

Watch:

2:17 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Suspect in Michigan high school shooting identified

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald just named the suspect in the Oxford High School shooting yesterday.

We are working to confirm the spelling of the suspect's name.

At least four students died in the shooting yesterday.

1:34 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Michigan governor calls for action on gun violence in a newly released video statement 

From CNN’s Gregory Lemos 

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer called Tuesday’s shooting at Oxford High School “horrific” and urged action around gun violence in a video statement released Wednesday. 

“Yesterday was every student’s, teacher’s and parent’s worst nightmare. The death of multiple students and the shooting of others, including a teacher, at Oxford High School is horrific,” she said in a statement posted on Twitter. “This is a time for Michiganders to come together for the Oxford community. We have to wrap our arms around this town that’s going through unimaginable pain and heartbreak.”

Whitmer called for action around what she called “the gun violence public health crisis.” 

“We have to build a state where no one is afraid to go school, or work, or house of worship, or even their own home,” she said. 

Whitmer said, as a parent, her heart was with the parents and families of Oxford and called on the greater community’s support. 

“We all hugged our kids a little tighter yesterday,” the governor said. “We all have to be there for them in every way that we can to help them be strong and lift their spirits through our actions, not only our thoughts and prayers.”

1:23 p.m. ET, December 1, 2021

Prosecutors will announce charges in the Michigan school shooting at 2 p.m. ET

From CNN's Carolyn Sung

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald will announce charges related to the Oxford High School shooting case at a 2 p.m. news conference, according to a news release.

At least four students died in a school shooting yesterday, and at least eight other people were injured.

The suspect, a 15-year-old student, was taken into custody shortly after the shooting, the sheriff's office said. Michael McCabe, the undersheriff and chief deputy for Oakland County, previously said the suspect could be charged as an adult, but that is up to the prosecutor's office.