Live Updates

Deadly shooting at California high school

Shooting survivor: I wouldn't wish this upon anyone
01:16

What we know so far

18 Posts

Our live coverage of the school shooting has ended for the day. For the latest news, read through the posts below.

Second victim in Saugus High School shooting identified

The second victim in yesterday’s shooting at Saugus High School has been identified as 14-year-old Dominic Blackwell, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Earlier today, the first victim was identified as Grace Anne Muehlberger, 15.

Shooting suspect was member of the Boy Scouts of America

The suspect in yesterday’s shooting at Saugus High School, who CNN has identified as Nathaniel Berhow, was a youth member of the Boy Scouts of America, according to the organization.

A spokesperson for the Boy Scouts of America provided the following statement to CNN: 

“We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragedy, and we join the Los Angeles community in sending our prayers and support to the victims, their families and all those impacted. We are committed to the well-being of the community and we will offer support however we can, including hosting meetings with local Scouting parents to help them speak with their children about this tragedy and connect them with additional resources including counseling.”

The origin of the suspect's gun is unclear

Anthony Bustos drops off a stuffed toy bear, which once belonged to his son who died four years ago, at a makeshift memorial in Central Park, not far from Saugus High School.

The origin of the gun used in yesterday’s fatal shooting at a Santa Clarita high school is unclear, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said this afternoon at a press conference.

The sheriff said that the suspected gunman’s deceased father owned six guns himself. However, these have all been accounted for and none were used in the attack.

The firearm used in the attack is currently at a crime lab for analysis.

Santa Clarita mayor: "We are all feeling what happened"

Speaking at a press conference following a fatal shooting at Saugus High School, Santa Clarita mayor Marsha McLean said that, “The entire community has been affected.”

She commended “the bravery of the students of Saugus High School, who went through this and those that came to their aid.”

McLean also laid out plans for a vigil to honor the victims of the shooting. Two students, a 15-year old girl and a 14-year old boy, died at a hospital after the shooting.

The vigil will be held on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m in Santa Clarita’s Central Park. There will be blue and silver lights to represent Saugus High School’s colors. Details can be found on Santa Clarita’s Facebook page.

Shooter did not leave a suicide note or manifesto

The suspected shooter did not leave a manifesto or suicide note before killing and injuring numerous people at Saugus High School yesterday, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Capt. Kent Wegener told reporters at a press conference this afternoon.

The motive behind the shooting remains unclear, Wegener added.

Shooting suspect remains in critical condition

The shooting suspect remains in critical condition this afternoon, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva who spoke at a press conference today.

The suspected shooter in the Saugus shooting, who CNN has identified as Nathaniel Berhow, had access to weapons and was proficient in using them, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

A few powerful photos taken after the Saugus High School shooting

The Santa Clarita community is still reeling from the shooting at Saugus High School yesterday that left two teenagers dead.

The following photographs show how the community is coping with the loss.

People grive beside a makeshift memorial in Central Park, not far from Saugus High School.
Students are evacuated from Saugus High School onto a bus after a shooting at the school left two students dead and three wounded.
Flowers and cards are placed in front of Saugus High School in the aftermath of the shooting.
Members of Saugus High School's Air Force JUNIOR ROTC unit hold a moment of silence in memory of the victims of the shooting.
First responders standby for any injured students after a gunman opened fire at Saugus High School.
People sit at a prayer service for Saugus High School at Bouquet Canyon Church after a shooting at the school left two students dead and three wounded.
People grive beside a makeshift memorial in Central Park, not far from Saugus High School.
Grieving students from Saugus High School reunite with their parents at Central Park in Santa Clarita.

We don't know the shooter's motive

No motive is known at this point and it’s unclear what the connection is between the shooter and the victims other than they attended the same school, Capt. Kent Wegener told reporters Thursday.

A search warrant was served at what they believe is the suspects residence, Wegener said.

There is no history at that address to indicate there were any issues at the home prior to the shooting, the captain said.

Paul Delacourt, assistant director of the Los Angeles FBI field office, said there is no reason to believe the suspect was acting on behalf of any other group or ideology or that there were any co-conspirators.

L.A. County Sheriff's Department to hold press conference

The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department will hold a press conference at 3 p.m. ET at its Santa Clarita Station.

Saugus High School shooting victim identified

The 15-year-old girl killed in the Saugus High School shooting is Grace Anne Muehlberger, according to Los Angeles County Coroner. 

The L.A. County Sheriff’s Office has put a security hold on the case, preventing the release of any details beyond name, birth and death date, and case number, spokesperson Sarah Ardalani tells CNN.

Authorities earlier had said she was 16.

Instagram account in question does not belong to the shooter

Instagram has informed CNN that the account initially identified by law enforcement as belonging to the shooter is not his.

“We disabled this account for violating our policies. We can confirm it did not belong to the shooter,” Instagram said in a statement last night.

Shooting survivor released from hospital

One patient from the Saugus High School shooting has been treated and released from Henry Mayo Hospital, according to hospital spokesman Patrick Moody.

Only one patient remains at Henry Mayo, who is in critical condition.

That’s believed to be the shooter.

Saugus shooting suspect had access to and knowledge of weapons

The suspected shooter in the Saugus shooting, who CNN has identified as Nathaniel Berhow, had access to weapons and was proficient in using them, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The suspect’s father was a hunter and possessed firearms. There were other firearms found in the house, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said in an interview on non-affiliate KTTV.

Discussing the surveillance video from the high school, Villanueva noted the suspect cleared a malfunction quickly. “The suspect had knowledge and practical use of the weapon,” Villanueva said.

Berhow’s motive remains unclear. There is no indication of the shooter being a social outcast, or a victim of bullying, the sheriff said.

One of the children killed is the family member of an L.A. County Sheriff’s Department employee.

“The 14 year old boy is the nephew of one of my employees,” Villanueva said.

The sheriff praised the active shooting drills that have been conducted at the school, saying the students did as they were trained – run. He added that trauma kits in the classroom were used to attend to the victims immediately.

First responders were on the scene in seconds. They were off-duty officers who had dropped off their kids at school.

The first people at the scene were three off-duty law enforcement officers who were dropping off their children at the school.

Detective Daniel Finn of the Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station was driving away when he heard gunshots and saw terrified children run out. He turned his car around and rushed into the school, the sheriff said. 

Officer Sean Yanez of Inglewood police and LAPD’s Gus Ramirez also rushed to the scene, Villanueva added. All three were off-duty and entered the school within seconds, he said. 

“It’s a tragedy every way you look at it, but there’s a silver lining behind this: the fact that off-duty first responders were there and did not hesitate … and they rendered first aid immediately,” the sheriff said. 

The officers saw a gun and figured the threat was likely over and focused on saving victims, he said.

Doctors say 2 girls who survived the shooting are doing well and should be discharged today or tomorrow

Doctors at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, California, give an update.

Trauma surgeons Dr. Boris Borazjani and Dr. Evan Valle just updated the media assembled at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, California, about two female victims who survived the shooting and were taken there.

One, a 15-year-old girl, was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound below her belly button. The bullet had lodged in her hip. Dr. Borazjani said they cleaned out the wound and removed the bullet, and the teen is currently recovering. He expects she will be discharged in the next day or two.

The second victim treated at the hospital, a 14-year-old girl, was shot in the left shoulder and lower abdomen, though the bullet didn’t fracture any bones. She is doing well and recovering, and should be home in a day or two as well.

Dr. D. W. Donovan, a chaplain and chief mission integration officer at the medical center, said caretakers would be focused on the mental health of these victims, too. He’s already spoken with the families about how to talk with their children about the event.

It took the shooter just 16 seconds from start to finish

The shooting at Saugus High School took 16 seconds from start to finish, Capt. Kent Wegener said during a press conference Thursday.

The shooter walked into the school’s quad area Thursday morning carrying a backpack. He retrieved a .45-caliber pistol without saying a word and fired one round, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said. 

After shooting one student, he cleared a jam on the weapon and fired an additional four rounds at others, then himself. 

“That ended it all in 16 seconds,” the sheriff added.

Two teens are dead after a 16-year-old gunman shot 5 classmates and himself in 16 seconds, cops say

A teen whose birthday was Thursday went to his Southern California high school, pulled a pistol from his backpack and shot five classmates and himself in 16 seconds, authorities said.

Two victims – a 15-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy – died at a hospital.

Three students were wounded and taken by ambulance from Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, officials said.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the 16-year-old suspected gunman is in critical condition. He used the last bullet from a .45-caliber pistol on himself, authorities said.

The sheriff told “Anderson Cooper 360˚” the student fired one time, then apparently had a problem with the gun before firing again.

The suspect’s name is Nathaniel Berhow, two law enforcement sources told CNN.

Click or tap here to read our story on the Saugus High School shooting. We’ll be bringing you updates from Santa Clarita today as we learn more.

GO DEEPER

What we know about the suspect in the California school shooting
US Park Police involved in fatal shooting of Bijan Ghaisar won't face federal criminal civil rights charges
After Parkland, Saugus High students walked out to protest school shootings. Thursday, their school was the target
In 46 weeks this year, there have been 44 school shootings
Her daughter was shot dead in a movie theater. Now she travels to mass shooting sites to help others

GO DEEPER

What we know about the suspect in the California school shooting
US Park Police involved in fatal shooting of Bijan Ghaisar won't face federal criminal civil rights charges
After Parkland, Saugus High students walked out to protest school shootings. Thursday, their school was the target
In 46 weeks this year, there have been 44 school shootings
Her daughter was shot dead in a movie theater. Now she travels to mass shooting sites to help others