The Sanibel Causeway — the only connection to the mainland for Sanibel and Captiva islands in southwest Florida — will need either a major overhaul or a complete rebuild after the devastation of Hurricane Ian, Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a news conference Thursday evening.
CNN previously reported that Ian's storm surge washed away at least three parts of the roadway.
"That's going to require major, major overhaul and potentially a complete rebuild," the governor said. "They're going to look at it and see."
"That's the only way on Sanibel and Captiva island, so the operations to help people there have mostly been by air," DeSantis added.
Earlier Thursday, the governor described the storm surge that hit the area as "biblical."