The world's busiest airports: While airline passengers might wish for less crowded airports, cities love to brag about their booming airports and the impact of flight on the local economy. Denver International Airport in the US was the 20th busiest in the world last year for passenger traffic, with more than 61 million passengers. That's according to 2017 data from Airports Council International.
John Moore/Getty Images
Incheon International Airport, South Korea: South Korea's largest airport welcomed more than 62 million passengers in 2017, an increase of 7.5%.
courtesy Korean Air
18. Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore: Changi is regularly voted the best airport in the world. More than 62 million passengers got to experience it last year, an increase of 6%.
17. Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, Indonesia: Last year 63 million passengers visited this Jakarta airport, an increase of 8.3% on 2016.
16. Indira Gandhi International Airport, India: Don't let this picture of an empty Terminal 3 fool you. This Indian airport welcomed 63.5 million passengers in 2017, an increase of 14%.
Courtesy David Brossard/Creative Commons/Flickr
15. Atatürk International Airport, Turkey: The Istanbul airport saw a 6% increase in traffic last year, with nearly 64 million travelers passing through.
BULENT KILIC/AFP/Getty Images
14. Frankfurt Am Main Airport, Germany: Germany's busiest airport handled 64.5 million passengers in 2017, 6% more than the year before.
13. Guangzhou Bai Yun International Airport, China: This airport in southern China saw a huge 10.3% increase in passenger traffic last year, welcoming nearly 66 million travelers.
12. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, United States: The fourth-busiest airport in the US, Dallas/Fort Worth flew 67 million passengers in 2017, an increase of 2.3%.
From DFW International Airport
11. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Netherlands: The Dutch airport welcomed 68.5 million passengers in 2017, up nearly 8% from the year before.
10. Aéroport de Paris-Charles de Gaulle, France: France's busiest airport had more than 69 million passengers last year, up 5.4% on 2016.
Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images
9. Shanghai Pudong International Airport, China: With more than 70 million passengers in 2017, 6% growth from the previous year, Pudong held onto ninth place.
JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images
8. Hong Kong International Airport, China: Hong Kong held onto eighth place last year, with nearly 73 million passengers, up 3.4% compared to 2016.
Xaume Olleros/Bloomberg/Getty Images
7. London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom: Heathrow's passenger traffic grew 3% to more than 78 million passengers.