Cairo, Egypt (CNN) — If you think New York never sleeps, you should try Cairo sometime.
Ear-splitting, pulse-pounding and overwhelming, Egypt's capital is an all-out assault on the senses -- 18 million hustling, bustling people packed into one heaving city along the banks of the Nile.
Egyptians call it the "Mother of the World," and it's not hard to see why. Cairo is a modern megalopolis with an ancient past -- a living, breathing and sweating testament to city's thousand-year old role as the main nerve center of the Arab world.
But enough out of us -- we asked you to finish the following sentence: "You know you're in Cairo when..."
... and boy did you answer. You gave us the lowdown on city: the sights, the sounds and the smells.
Here are 13 signs you're probably in the Egyptian capital, chosen by you.
1. When there's simply no avoiding traffic.
2. When "maximum occupancy" is optional.
3. When cars aren't the only thing to look at on the road .
4. When even walking can be a death-defying stunt.
5. When the pyramids are almost never out of shot.
6. When the history of the place is ever-present.
7. When working and relaxing aren't always exclusive.
8. When the city doesn't sleep, even when you're desperate to ...
9. ... But at least the people are friendly. Like, really really friendly.
10. When everyone's a comedian.
11. When there's always something to stuff your face with.
12. When there's no shortage of places to stop for a drink.
13. When despite all the hustle and bustle, you still find time to take in the view.