(CNN) — The best family beaches have more than a sandy spot to sunbathe or clean water for swimming.
"When choosing the top family-friendly beaches, we consider a number of factors -- it's not just beautiful sands and picturesque views," said Lissa Poirot, editor-in-chief of Family Vacation Critic, a TripAdvisor site. The editors of the site pick the beaches on the list.
"Beyond clean, safe beaches, we're looking for beaches that offer a well-rounded experience for families -- accommodations, dining and entertainment within close distance of the beach, and plenty to keep the whole family entertained while in town," Poirot said in a statement.
Check out the 10 best U.S. beaches, listed here in alphabetical order by beach name, in our photo gallery above.
- Cape May Beach -- Cape May, New Jersey
- Carlsbad State Beach -- Carlsbad, California
- Crescent Beach -- Block Island, Rhode Island
- Fort De Soto Park -- St. Petersburg, Florida
- Kings Beach -- Lake Tahoe, California
- Lincoln City Beach -- Lincoln City, Oregon
- Manatee County Beach -- Holmes Beach, Florida
- Ogunquit Beach -- Ogunquit, Maine
- Rehoboth Beach -- Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
- Virginia Beach -- Virginia Beach, Virginia