Democratic presidential candidate John Hickenlooper, the former Colorado governor, spoke directly to voters at tonight's town hall in Atlanta, Georgia, where he answered questions on a range of issues.
We're wrapping up our live coverage, but in case you missed it, here are some key quotes from his town hall, from his thoughts on gun violence and white nationalism, to why he wants female candidates to say if they'd put a man on the ticket, too:
- On white nationalism: "Any time you are making comments and creating, fanning the flames of hatred, then you’re doing a genuine harm to your community.“I don’t know what to say – I think President Trump should be ashamed of himself.”
- On the death penalty: “I’m against it. It makes no sense."
- On whether he'd put a woman on the ticket: “How come we’re not asking more often the women, would you be willing to put a man on the ticket."
- On bullying and Trump: “Most bullies are insecure and narcissistic. And what they hate more than anything else is being laughed at."
- On declaring a national emergency for gun violence: "I don’t think that that is the purpose of declaring national emergencies. I think what the President has done on the border diminishes our military efforts at creating processes by which you establish what is a national emergency."
- On having face blindness: "Well, turns out there is a medical condition, and really a spectrum. And some people can look at 150 people in a video and remember every face and tell you if you show them five minutes later, a different picture of one person, they'll tell you exactly where they were. I'm the opposite. And I think in a way it's been a blessing."
- On legalizing marijuana: "I think where states do legalize marijuana with the voters or through their general assembly, the federal government should get out of the way and allow them to get banking, allow them to look at systems by which you can have this experiment go on successfully.”
- On what his last name means: "Well, we were always told as kids that Hickenlooper was Dutch for hedge hopper."
- On watching a porn movie with his mother: "We thought it was a little naughty but we didn't think it was that bad. You've got to understand I was 18 years old."