At least 11 migrants have died in US custody in the past 10 months.
Here's what we know about their deaths:
- September: A 10-year-old girl died in the care of the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Refugee Resettlement. Her death was not reported publicly for nearly eight months. An HHS spokesman at the time told CNN the girl had a history of congenital heart defects.
- December: Two children — 7-year-old Jakelin Caal Maquin and 8-year-old Felipe Gómez Alonzo — died weeks apart while in US custody.
- February: A 45-year-old Mexican man died after being apprehended by border patrol agents in the Rio Grand Valley. He died after being transferred to a hospital.
- March: A 40-year-old Mexican migrant died while in CBP custody, according to an agency news release. CBP said the man was evaluated by medical personnel hours after being apprehended and transported to a medical center after being diagnosed with flu-like symptoms, liver failure and renal failure. He died the same day.
- April: Guatemalan teen Juan de León Gutiérrez died in a Texas children's hospital days after being taken to a shelter for unaccompanied minors. The cause of his death hasn't been reported. A source close to the situation said at the time that the youth had shown signs of distress the day after he arrived in Brownsville, Texas.
- May: Carlos Gregorio Hernandez Vasquez, 16, was apprehended and processed near Hidalgo, Texas. He was transferred to the Weslaco Border Patrol Station where he was found unresponsive a day later, CBP said. The cause of death is unknown.
- June 1: Medina Leon died at an El Paso hospital. She was taken into ICE custody in April after encountering immigration officials while trying to enter the US.
- June 3: A 40-year-old Honduran woman who had been apprehended June 3 near Eagle Pass, Texas, died in Customs and Border Protection custody. The woman collapsed about 25 minutes after being taken into custody and was later transported to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, the agency said. Earlier that day, CBP announced the death of a 33-year-old Salvadoran man who appeared to seize after being apprehended on June 2.
- June 30: Yimi Alexis Balderramos-Torres, a 30-year-old Honduran man, found unresponsive in his dormitory and attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, ICE said. Balderramos-Torres is the sixth detainee to die in ICE custody since October 1, 2018, the agency said.