Election Night in America Continued
Democrat Katie Porter has taken a 261-vote lead on Republican Rep. Mimi Walters in California’s 45th District.
Why it matters: It’s one of several Orange County-based districts where Democrats lead as California continues counting mail-in ballots -- potentially padding the party’s new majority in the House.
Porter is a protégé of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
Republicans sought to cast her as out of the mainstream in a county that once was a Republican stronghold, but where Hillary Clinton had won several congressional districts held by the GOP -- including the 45th District.
The new numbers mean Democrats now lead in seven out of 10 uncalled House races.
It's been a week since the polls closed in America's midterm elections, but there are still a few races that are too close to call.
CNN's special “Election Night in America Continued” goes live tonight 8 - 11 p.m. ET and you can watch it live in the video player above or on CNN Go.
Wolf Blitzer, Jake Tapper, Anderson Cooper and Chris Cuomo will host, while John King will take us through where things stand on the Magic Wall. We'll hear from Democrats who won in the blue wave, Republicans who were forced out and election experts on the state of the Florida recount.
In the six days since election night, Democrats picked up three House seats, while Republicans picked up one.
Democrats so far have picked up a net of 30 seats in the House of Representatives, with 10 key races still undecided. That brings the current balance of power tally to 225 Democratic-held seats and 200 Republican seats.
In the still-undecided races, Democrats have taken the lead in three since election night to give them an overall advantage in six out of 10 of them.
Here's what we know about those races:
- CA-10: Democrat Josh Harder leads Republican Rep. Jeff Denham (lead flipped since election night).
- CA-39: Republican Young Kim leads Democrat Gil Cisneros
- CA-45: Republican Rep. Mimi Walters leads Democrat Katie Porter (lead has narrowed since election night).
- CA-48: Democrat Harley Rouda leads Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (lead has grown since election night).
- CA-49: Democrat Mike Levin leads Republican Diane Harkey (lead has grown since election night).
- GA-7: Republican Rep. Rob Woodall leads Democrat Carolyn Bourdeaux.
- NJ-3: Democrat Andrew Kim leads Republican Rep. Tom MacArthur (lead has flipped since election night).
- NM-2: Democrat Xochitl Torres Small leads Republican Yvette Herrell (lead has flipped since election night).
- UT-4: Democrat Ben McAdams leads Republican Rep. Mia Love.
- ME-2: Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin (46.1%) leads Democrat Jared Golden (45.9%). (This race is headed to a ranked-choice runoff.)
Democrats have taken the lead in a handful of key House races while the margin in Florida's senate race has narrowed, forcing a recount.
A key US Senate race in Arizona was settled on Monday night -- six days after Election Day -- when Republican Rep. Martha McSally conceded to Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema.