Perhaps the biggest takeaway from the latest release of our new CNN poll is why voters approve and disapprove of Trump.
The reason most frequently given by those who approve of Trump’s job performance is the state of the economy. The reasons most frequently given by those who disapprove of Trump’s job performance for why they disapprove have to do with Trump's character.
Put another way, voters who approve of Trump like him in spite of personality, not because of it.
Here are a few other key takeaways from our latest CNN poll:
- The issue on which Trump's approval rating most strongly correlates with his overall approval rating is immigration.
- Trump's overall approval rating seems to be lifted by how voters view him on the economy, but other issues are keeping his approval rating down.
- More Americans say the economy is very good in our new poll than at any point since 2000.
- Trump has lost considerable ground since last year on whether voters approve of his handling of North Korea.
- A majority of voters now expect Trump to win 2020, but an examination of elections since 1992 illustrates that voters are poor predictors at this point in the campaign cycle.