Facebook had previously removed multiple posts from Cesar Sayoc’s account for violating its community standards, a Facebook spokesperson told CNN on Friday.
The spokesperson said that some of the removals were the result of Facebook users reporting Sayoc’s posts for violations. Other posts were identified by Facebook through its detection systems.
Facebook would not specify how many posts were removed.
The violations were not severe enough to prompt the company to remove his account entirely, the spokesperson added.
However, Facebook did remove the account after Sayoc was named as a suspect, and says it is working with law enforcement.
Here's Facebook's statement:
"There is absolutely no place on our platforms for people who attempt such horrendous acts. We have found and immediately removed the suspect's accounts on Facebook and Instagram. We will also continue to remove content that praises or supports the bombing attempt or the suspect as soon as we're aware."