Iran attacks bases housing US troops
Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, reacted to Iran's attack on two Iraqi bases housing American troops on Fox News this evening.
“This was an act of war, Sean, by any reasonable definition,” Graham told host Sean Hannity. “The President has all the authority he needs under Article II to respond and how he responds is yet to be determined, but he has that authority to respond.”
Graham ended by saying he had just gotten off the phone with President Trump.
"Let me say tonight, if you are watching television in Iran, I just got off the phone to the President: your fate is in your own hands in terms of the regime's economic viability. You continue this crap you're going to wake up one day out of the oil business," Graham said.
Moments earlier, Graham noted that Trump could opt to respond by hitting either military or oil targets.
Iran's minister of telecommunications Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi took to Twitter following the missile attack on US targets in Iraq.
"Get the hell out of our region!" he tweeted.
Read his tweet:
In an undated video shared by Iran’s semi-official Fars News, Iran's supreme leader is seen addressing a large crowd saying that the US may harm Iran — but they will harm themselves many times more.
Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei added: “I said during a speech at the time [of President Obama’s presidency], that the time for hit-and-run is over. If you hit, you get hit back."
The body of Qasem Soleimani is being laid to rest in his hometown of Kerman, Iran, state-run Press TV reported.
It is Wednesday morning in Iraq right now.
His burial comes days after the US killed Soleimani, a top Iranian general, in an airstrike in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad.
At least two ballistic missiles hit two separate areas in Erbil, two Kurdish security officials tell CNN.
The attacks occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning in Iraq.
One missile landed inside the perimeter of Erbil International Airport without exploding, the second missile hit an area 33 kilometers (about 20 miles) west of the city of Erbil without causing casualties.
Hear more details:
The Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday it was restricting non-military US aircraft “from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.”
Read the FAA's full statement:
"The Federal Aviation Administration issued Notices to Airmen (NOTAMS) tonight outlining flight restrictions that prohibit U.S. civil aviation operators from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. The FAA will continue closely monitoring events in the Middle East. We continue coordinating with our national security partners and sharing information with U.S. air carriers and foreign civil aviation authorities."
White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said she won't be issuing a written statement Tuesday night, aside from her earlier statement that President Trump had been briefed.
Moments ago, a White House official said Trump will not deliver an address tonight following a missile attack on two Iraqi bases that house US troops.
Top national security officials — including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper — have departed the White House.
Vice President Mike Pence also departed.
President Trump will not deliver an address Tuesday night following a missile attack on two Iraqi bases that house US troops, a White House official said.
Aides had been making preparations for a possible address to the nation after Iran fired missiles at US forces in Iraq.
But an official now says Trump won't appear before cameras tonight.