CNN Site Map for Section Middle East (Galleries) for August - 2012
- 2012-08-31A Berber girl dressed in traditional attire at a Berber cultural festival in Tripoli. Public displays of Amazigh culture were forbidden under the Gadhafi regime.
- 2012-08-23The puppet cast of "Top Goon: Diaries of a Little Dictator," produced by anonymous Syrian artists' collective Masasit Mati. At the far right is the character representing Assad, known by the diminutive "Beeshu."
- 2012-08-22Behind barbed wire are the entrances to the Gaza-Egypt smuggling tunnels - a key trade route for Hamas-controled Gaza.
- 2012-08-21Indian Muslim devotees offer Eid al-Fitr prayers at the historic Taj Mahal in Agra on Monday, August 20. The three-day festival begins after the sighting of a new crescent moon. During Ramadan, devout Muslims abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex from
- 2012-08-14A dervish whirls in religious ecstasy in the Turkish city of Konya, where the Sufi mystic Rumi is buried. "Muslim for a Month" tours visit the tomb and observe the dervishes.
- 2012-08-10Egyptian artist Nermine Hammam's first solo exhibition in the United Kingdom, "Cairo, Year One," is currently on display in London. Pictured is detail of a work from her series called "Unfolding."
- 2012-08-09Beirut is the party capital of the Middle East, but even when clubbing at renowned nightspot B018 reminders of a tumultuous recent past are not far away.
- 2012-08-02A photo exhibition celebrating women athletes in the Arab world has opened in London.