The Pentagon on Friday announced a new $2.1 billion security assistance package for Ukraine that it said includes “critical air defense and ammunition capabilities,” according to a press release.
"This USAI (Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative) package illustrates the continued commitment to both Ukraine’s critical near-term capabilities as well as the enduring capacity of Ukraine’s Armed Forces to defend its territory and deter Russian aggression over the long term," the statement said.
According to the Pentagon, the package includes:
- Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems
- HAWK air defense systems and missiles
- 105mm and 203mm artillery rounds
- Puma unmanned aerial systems
- Laser-guided rocket system munitions
- Support for training, maintenance and sustainment activities
Some context: With the new package announcement, the US has committed more than $40.4 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden administration, including more than $39.7 billion since the beginning of the war in February 2022.