How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter
Reliable Sources examines how journalists do their jobs and how the media affect the stories they cover in this weekly CNN program.
- September 27, 2020: How TV networks will make election projections in 2020; why the debates won't be fact-checked in real time; Brian Stelter on the consequences of Trump's daily liesPlus... Maria Ressa's warning about Facebook and misinformation; Brian Karem's astonishment at his exchange with Trump. Frank J. Fahrenkopf, Jr., Mark Lukasiewicz, Molly Jong-Fast, Brian Karem, Sam Feist and Maria Ressa join Brian Stelter. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 27, 2020
- CNN's media reporters discuss 2020's changes and challenges to their beats, from digital disinformation to entertainmentOliver Darcy, Donie O'Sullivan, Kerry Flynn, Frank Pallotta and Chloe Melas join Brian Stelter for a once-a-quarter conversation about the media industry, misinformation and more. Darcy and O'Sullivan discuss "echo chambers" that radicalize voters. Flynn and Melas analyze the impact of the Black Lives Matter movement on newsrooms and Hollywood. Pallotta looks at how the media business is faring during the pandemic. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 25, 2020
- September 20, 2020: Foreign reporters warn about American authoritarianism; Nikole Hannah-Jones on Trump's attacksPlus... Len Downie's tips for covering for the coming election chaos; David Zurawik on Supreme Court coverage; how C-SPAN helped us hear the pandemic pain. Luke Harding, Rana Ayyub, John-Allan Namu, Julie Cohen, David Zurawik, Nikole Hannah-Jones and Leonard Downie, Jr. join Brian Stelter. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 20, 2020
- Megan Garber on the Fox News language, a 'celebration of incuriosity,' and the rhetoric of warfareThe Atlantic staff writer Megan Garber says "we sometimes don't have satisfying languages" for talking about Fox News. Garber talks with Brian Stelter about his new book "Hoax" and her essay titled "Do You Speak Fox?" She says the network employs the "rhetoric of warfare" and "us" versus "them" themes that have "infiltrated the way that we approach the world in a really basic level." See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 18, 2020
- September 13, 2020: Mary Trump on the wave of tell-all Trump books; Sam Donaldson on the revelations from Bob Woodward's reportingPlus... Reed Hastings on Netflix's culture and competitive set; Clarissa Ward's messages for young journalists; and Jon Karl on the moment he asked Trump 'Why did you lie?' Sam Donaldson, Dr. Seema Yasmin, Bill Carter, Mary Trump, Jonathan Karl, Clarissa Ward and Reed Hastings join Brian Stelter. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 13, 2020
- Slate's Will Saletan on the timeline of Trump's coronavirus response and the new revelations from Bob Woodward's bookWill Saletan compiled a comprehensive timeline of "what Trump knew and when he knew it" about the coronavirus pandemic. He says the chronology proves that Trump is responsible for many deaths. Brian Stelter asks Saletan about his conclusions. Plus: What do Bob Woodward's taped interviews with Trump add to the timeline? Saletan says Trump exposed one of the news media's vulnerabilities: "We're not really prepared as a press corps for an authoritarian. We're not prepared for someone who just lies....Show more.. And it turns out that we're not as effective as we would like to believe we are at stopping politicians from lying if they're willing to simply ignore us."
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 11, 2020
- September 6, 2020: The Atlantic's top editor answers Trump's attacks; local TV's political disinfo problem; Carl Bernstein on the use of anonymous sources in reportingPlus... This is why political campaigns feel free to lie in TV ads; a Facebook exec explains the company's US election actions; what's next for Stars and Stripes? Jeffrey Goldberg, S.V. Date, SE Cupp, Nick Clegg, Nicole Hemmer, Carl Bernstein and Ernie Gates join Brian Stelter. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 6, 2020
- Why an inflammatory headline caused Daniel Thompson to quit The Kenosha NewsDaniel Thompson talks about his decision to resign from The Kenosha News in protest of a "grossly negligent and inappropriate" headline on a story about a rally in support of Jacob Blake. He says "I don't think the old ways of covering things, particularly protests, works anymore." He also tells Brian Stelter about his plan to work as an independent journalist and eventually "develop a network" of local news outlets. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 3, 2020
- August 30, 2020: Expert compares Trump's politics to fascism; the GOP's 'big lie' about Covid-19; Vanity Fair editor Radhika Jones on America's racial reckoningPlus... Kevin Roose on how algorithms are distorting American politics; Daniel Dale on his fast-paced fact-checking; Carolyn DeWitt on voter groups suing Trump over his social media executive order. Susan Glasser, Kevin Roose, Ayesha Rascoe, Jason Stanley, Daniel Dale, Radhika Jones and Carolyn DeWitt join Brian Stelter. See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Aug 30, 2020
- Oliver Darcy interviews Brian Stelter about 'Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth'Host Brian Stelter becomes the guest as CNN senior media reporter Oliver Darcy asks him about his new book "Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth." Stelter discusses his reasons for writing the book; how he convinced sources to cooperate; the "lie-laundering" trends he identified; and the potential for change at Fox News in the future. Stelter and Darcy debate the divide between Fox's news and opinion departments, the influence of the Murdoch family, and more.Aug 26, 2020