How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
The stakes of our political choices have never been higher, but with new headlines every hour it can be hard to separate the signal from the noise. On Politically Sound, we’re going to take a step back and look at the big picture. We’ll explain the issues of the day, take a look back at how we got here, and draw a line ahead to what it all means. Hosted by David Chalian and Nia-Malika Henderson.
- And Now the Work BeginsNormalcy returns to Washington as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris are sworn into office. But is a smooth inauguration a sign of things to come or is there a bumpy road ahead? In this episode, David Chalian and Nia Malika-Henderson are joined by CNN’s Wolf Blitzer to walk through the momentous inauguration and the early challenges facing the Biden administration.Jan 22, 2021
- Ok, This is Truly UnprecedentedThe word “unprecedented” gets thrown around a lot these days. But how else do you describe a country still reeling from an attack on the Capitol building and impeaching the President for a second time while it prepares for an inauguration? In this episode, David Chalian and Nia Malika-Henderson are joined by CNN Washington Correspondent Ryan Nobles to explain what comes next - now that the President is impeached - what it means for the country, the Republican party, and President-elect Biden.
...Show moreJan 15, 2021
- The Inevitable InsurrectionThe siege of the US Capitol by a Trump-supporting mob was four years in the making and completely preventable – yet still shocked the nation. In this episode, David Chalian and Nia-Malika Henderson are joined by CNN Reporter Donie O’Sullivan who was at the Capitol speaking to rioters on Wednesday, to discuss how the President instigated the violence, the depths of the misinformation his supporters believe, and what this means for the future of American politics.Jan 8, 2021
- The Rise of Pandemic PoliticsCoronavirus dominated every aspect of life in 2020 including reshaping the political landscape. In this episode, David Chalian and Nia-Malika Henderson discuss how the pandemic changed politics this year and how it will impact Joe Biden's presidency. Plus, CNN Correspondent Stephanie Elam takes you inside the vaccine trial she’s participating in and tells you how one of Biden’s biggest challenges will be convincing vulnerable communities to take the vaccine.Dec 18, 2020
- An Insider's Guide to the Biden TransitionDespite the President’s tantrums, President-elect Joe Biden’s transition marches on. In this episode, Nia-Malika Henderson is joined by former Obama Adviser and the host of CNN’s The Axe Files podcast, David Axelrod, to explain the successes so far and challenges remaining for Biden’s transition. Plus, CNN Washington Correspondent Ryan Nobles joins from the campaign trail in Georgia to talk about how the state’s key Senate runoff races are the biggest question marks hanging over the Biden admini...Show morestration.Dec 11, 2020
- Politics Over PeopleFor months, Congress has failed the American people. Millions are out of work and going hungry, and many of the relief programs they rely on will expire at the end of the year. In this episode, Dana Bash and Abby Phillip discuss the disgraceful failure of government, the politics at play in passing more economic stimulus, and the momentum growing to get a deal as Congress stares down a deadline. Plus, CNN Chief Business Correspondent Christine Romans lays out how DC politics and Wall Street prof...Show moreits have stood in the way of a stimulus deal - and put the economic pain on everyday Americans.Dec 4, 2020
- One Nation, Completely DividedWe knew America was divided ... but this election has shown us just how deep that division runs. In this episode, David Chalian and Dana Bash discuss the intensifying political divide in America, what it means for President-elect Biden, and whether the nation can be stitched back together at all. Plus, Brian Stelter explains how election disinformation is altering the right-wing media landscape and what that means for the country going forward.Nov 20, 2020
- A Contentious TransitionPresident Trump is trying to block the transition of power and his refusal to accept the election results poses a danger to the country. In this week's episode, Nia-Malika Henderson and David Chalian discuss the impact of an undermined presidential transition and the challenges President-elect Biden will face as he begins to lead the nation. Plus, top Republican election lawyer and CNN contributor Benjamin Ginsberg joins to discuss Trump’s baseless legal battle.Nov 13, 2020
- We Have a WinnerCNN can project that Democratic candidate Joe Biden has been elected the 46th President of the United States, defeating Republican incumbent Donald Trump. His running mate, Kamala Harris, has become the first woman and first person of color to be elected vice president. David Chalian walks you through their path to the White House and what challenges lie ahead.Nov 7, 2020
- We're Getting CloserElection night has stretched into election week, so Politically Sound is a little different. In this mini-episode, David Chalian explains what the possible paths to 270 electoral votes look like for each candidate. With four battleground states have yet to be called, Joe Biden is on the brink of victory.Nov 6, 2020