How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- May 31, 2020 | On GPS: America's history of violence & racism; China's tightening grip on Hong KongAirdate May 31 2020: After the death of another black man at the hands of police, America erupted in protest. Renowned social activist Bryan Stevenson and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones discuss America's history of violence and racism with Fareed. Then, Hong Kong's autonomy and its special status are threatened by China's latest power grab over the island. Chris Patten, Hong Kong's last British governor, and Martin Lee, the father of Hong Kong's democracy movement, weigh in ...Show moreon the future of the island territory.
GUESTS: Bryan Stevenson, Nikole Hannah-Jones, Chris Patten, Martin LeeMay 31, 2020
- On GPS: Trump fights the WHO. Beijing fights the Trump administration.Airdate May 24 2020: Trump threatened U.S. withdrawal from the WHO this week, alleging the organization is aligned with China. Is he right? What would the WHO look like without the U.S.? WHO Assistant Director-General Stewart Simonson talks to Fareed. Also, China tightened its grip on Hong Kong and threatened "counter-measures" against America. What's behind Beijing's bold behavior? And just how bad IS China's relationship with the U.S.? Tom Friedman and Zanny Minton Beddoes answer these questio...Show morens and more. Also, former Director of the National Economic Council under President Trump tells Fareed what Americans can and should expect from the economy in the months to come.
GUESTS: Stewart Simonson, Thomas Friedman, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Gary CohnMay 24, 2020
- May 17, 2020 | On GPS: Rahm Emanuel on how to turn the Covid crisis into opportunityAirdate May 17 2020: To reopen or not to reopen, that has been the question. But how do we reopen safely? How do we reopen and reform our economy? First up, former White House Chief of Staff and former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on the policies and the politics. Then, doctor and author Atul Gawande on what we can learn from hospitals about lifting lockdowns. And, Beijing's battle with Washington - are China and the U.S. headed for a Cold War? Richard Haass tells Fareed what the Covid crisis has...Show more revealed about the new geopolitical order and our capacity to solve global problems with global solutions. Finally, the world's pandemic problem. Scientific journalist Sonia Shah tells Fareed why the world is seeing more outbreaks of disease.
GUESTS: Rahm Emanuel, Atul Gawande, Richard Haass, Sonia ShahMay 18, 2020
- May 10, 2020 | The Post Covid-19 World - A Fareed Zakaria GPS Special with Tony Blair, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Arianna Huffington, James Fallows and more!Airdate May 10 2020: What will the lasting impact of the Covid crisis be on our politics and our economys? How will it affect the way we travel, the way we learn, the way we live? What's the future of tech, transportation and politics? In this GPS Special, Fareed delves deeply into these questions and more. Tony Blair, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Janette Sadik-Khan, James Fallows, Michael Crow & Arianna Huffington tell Fareed what they see coming in a post Covid-19 world.
GUESTS: Tony Blair...Show more, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Janette Sadik-Khan, James Fallows, Michael Crow, Arianna HuffingtonMay 10, 2020
- May 3, 2020 | On GPS: Trump advisor Peter Navarro on the Covid-19 crisis; the curious case of Sweden & Covid-19Airdate May 3 2020: Fareed interviews Trump economic and trade adviser Peter Navarro on the blame game between China & the US over the spread of Covid-19. Then, the curious case of Sweden - the Scandinavian country has barely locked down but it's death rates are lower than you might imagine. Why? Sweden's Chief Epidemiologist Anders Tegnell tells Fareed. Also, the rise of anti-Asian racism in the wake of Covid-19. GUESTS: Peter Navarro, Anders Tegnell, Jiayang Fan, Erica LeeMay 3, 2020
- April 26, 2020 | On GPS: Bill Gates on overcoming the coronavirus crisisAirdate April 26 2020: Bill Gates tells Fareed what we know now about the coronavirus, when we should expect a vaccine, and when the U.S. will be ready to reopen its economy. Then, where did this novel coronavirus come from? How did it make the leap to humans? Peter Daszak, one of the world's foremost virus hunters, tells Fareed the latest science. GUESTS: Bill Gates, Peter DaszakApr 26, 2020
- April 19, 2020 | On GPS: The U.S.-China blame game; what we can learn from Austria as it starts to reopen; Madeleine Albright on leading in crisesAirdate April 19 2020: Is Donald Trump right to point the finger at China for the spread of Covid-19? Is Xi right to point back? Former diplomat Kishore Mahbubani and former Trump deputy National Security Adviser Nadia Schadlow debate China's role, its rise in the geopolitical order, and the need for global collaboration. Then, Austria is among the first nations reopening its economy. Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz tells Fareed in an exclusive interview what the world can learn from Vienna. ...Show moreThen, many countries hailed for handling the crisis well share a common element: they are led by women. What explains this trend? Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright explains what makes a great leader in these trying times.
GUESTS: Kishore Mahbubani, Nadia Schadlow, Sebastian Kurz, Madeleine AlbrightApr 19, 2020
- April 12, 2020 | On GPS: When to reopen the economy? The experts weigh in. Also, a WHO official and former UK PM Gordon Brown.Airdate April 12 2020: When will it be safe to re-open the economy? Fareed speaks to health experts and a Nobel Prize-winning economist. And, Pres. Trump's criticism's of the WHO, and his threat to defund it--are his attacks well-founded? WHO Spokesperson Margaret Harris responds. Meanwhile, former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown tells Fareed about the global cooperation necessary to stem the crisis. GUESTS: Jennifer Nuzzo, Paul Romer, Mark McClellan, Dr. Margaret Harris, Gordon BrownApr 12, 2020
- April 5, 2020 | On GPS: Covid-19 spurs economic crisis, gives way to a power grab in Hungary & forces globe's largest democracy into lockdownAirdate April 5 2020: Covid-19 grips the global economy, will this lead to the next great recession? Or worse, a depression? Paul Krugman, Zanny Minton Beddoes and Ian Bremmer tell Fareed what to expect economically in coming months. Then, in Hungary Prime Minister Viktor Orban now rules by decree. Michael Ignatieff and Valerie Hopkins tell Fareed how the pandemic played a role in what may be the end of democracy in that country. And, the largest lockdown in history: how is India handling it? Ba...Show morerkha Dutt explains.
GUESTS: Paul Krugman, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Ian Bremmer, Michael Ignatieff, Valerie Hopkins, Barkha DuttApr 5, 2020
- March 29, 2020 | On GPS: The coronavirus crisis-what can the U.S. learn from Singapore's flattened curve & when can America get back to work?Airdate March 29 2020: In an exclusive interview, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong tells Fareed what the U.S. can learn from Singapore, the city-state that managed to flatten the curve. And, should the healthy and young in America get back to work? Will COVID create another Great Depression? A great debate on the best way to save lives and salvage the economy with Rana Foroohar, Dr. David Katz and Donald McNeil.
GUESTS: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Rana Foroohar, Dr. David Katz, Donald McNe...Show moreilMar 29, 2020