How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- April 18, 2021 | On GPS: An exclusive interview with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, days after Biden announces a final U.S. troop withdrawalAirdate April 18, 2021: After the Biden administration said this week it's pulling out of Afghanistan, Fareed has an exclusive interview with the President of Afghanistan, Ashraf Ghani, on what the U.S. withdrawal means for his country and its citizens. Then, former Trump national security advisor Gen. H.R. McMaster critiques the Biden decision on Afghanistan, citing the potential chaos the Taliban can unleash, while former Obama national security advisor Tom Donilon applauds the decision and te...Show morells Fareed why the withdrawal is in the interest of the U.S. and the world. Lastly, will the world do anything about the violence in Myanmar? Fareed talks to CNN's chief international correspondent Clarissa Ward who just returned from the country.
GUESTS: Ashraf Ghani, H.R. McMaster, Thomas Donilon, Clarissa WardApr 18, 2021
- April 11, 2021 | On GPS: How to pay for Biden's big dollar plans; re-engaging with Iran; Turkey's illiberal democracyAirdate April 11, 2021: Trump slashed corporate tax rates in his tenure as president. Biden has taken haste to undo that, securing funding for his new American jobs plan. Fareed talks to Wally Adeyemo, U.S. Deputy Secretary of the Treasury. And, the Iran deal - can the U.S. and Iran resume talks? Should they? Fareed has a great debate with an all-star panel. Then, at another negotiating table, an awkward game of musical chairs in Turkey left one European leader without a seat. What this scene mi...Show moreght say about Turkey's continuing slide away from the West…and away from democracy.
GUESTS: Wally Adeyemo, Kim Ghattas, Reuel Marc Gerecht, Vali Nasr, Diane von FurstenbergApr 11, 2021
- April 4, 2021 | On GPS: Biden's big bid to rebuild America; new report on the origins of COVID-19; Germany grapples with COVID-19 resurgenceAirdate April 4, 2021: Before hitting his 100-day mark, Pres. Biden has passed a $2T COVID relief bill and proposed a $2T infrastructure and jobs package. Some have already begun putting him in the pantheon with FDR & LBJ. Are those comparisons apt? Fareed asks historians, Jon Meacham and Niall Ferguson. Then, the WHO's latest report saw no evidence that COVID-19 originated in a lab. Fareed speaks to Peter Daszak, one of the scientists who carried out this controversial investigation in China. ...Show moreAnd Germany went from great success against COVID-19 to close to failure – now entering its third spike. What changed? Fareed speaks to the New York Time's Correspondent Melissa Eddy.
GUESTS: Jon Meacham, Niall Ferguson, Peter Daszak, Melissa EddyApr 4, 2021
- March 21, 2021 | On GPS: Top U.S. officials had wars of words this week with their Russian and Chinese counterparts. What’s next for those already difficult relations?Airdate March 21, 2021: Fareed offers his Take on America’s already bloated defense budget and why the administration may use China to justify asking for even more money. Then, he talks to an all-star panel about President Biden affirming he thinks Putin is a “killer” and the un-diplomatic start of Secretary of State Blinken’s talks with his Chinese counterpart. Will Washington’s difficult relations with Moscow and Beijing get even more so? Then, a global COVID mystery: why has the developing...Show more world suffered relatively so few deaths compared to the developed world? And Fareed explains why the filibuster hasn’t been used to further democracy but instead to promote policies that discriminate...and why it has to be scrapped!
GUESTS: Zanny Minton Beddoes, James Stavridis, Richard Haass, Siddhartha MukherjeeMar 21, 2021
- March 14, 2021 | On GPS: Biden's $1.9 trillion relief package; the Quad's first leaders' summit; the biotech revolutionAirdate March 14, 2021: Biden's $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan was signed into law Friday. So, will the plan deliver on its promises? Paul Krugman and Larry Summers debate the bill's size and its long-term consequences. Then, what you need to know about the Quad after Biden’s meeting with leaders from India, Australia and Japan on Friday. The bloc of four nations seeks to counter China's growing influence while promoting a "free and open Indo-Pacific." Former State Department official Susan ...Show moreThornton tells Fareed how the group could reshape geopolitics in the East. And the biotech revolution brought about innovative solutions to the Covid-19 crisis. How will it change the world next? Walter Isaacson tells Fareed.
GUESTS: Larry Summers, Paul Krugman, Susan Thornton, Walter IsaacsonMar 14, 2021
- March 7, 2021 | On GPS: The race to global leadership in AI; Europe's bungled vaccine rollout; The bioethics of a COVID-19 vaccine passport; The Pope's historic visit to Iraq; India's democratic decline;Former Google chief Eric Schmidt makes the case for the U.S. to massively invest in artificial intelligence technology in order to keep up with China's fast advancements. As Italy blocks a shipment of vaccine from going to Australia, Zanny Milton Beddoes discusses the problems with the European Union's slow vaccine rollout and how it is affecting politics in the UK. Fareed asks renowned medical ethicist Arthur Caplan about the pros and cons of a COVID-19 vaccine passport. Then, Ben Wedeman repor...Show morets on Pope Francis's historic visit to Iraq and what it means for the Arab Christian community. Finally, a look at India's democratic decline amid the rise of Hindu nationalism in the country.
GUESTS: Eric Schmidt, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Arthur Caplan, Ben Wedeman
Airdate: March 7, 2021Mar 7, 2021
- February 28, 2021 | On GPS: The future of U.S.-Saudi relations after the Khashoggi report; a look at Biden's Middle East Strategy; Bill Gates on solutions for saving the planet and a post-pandemic world; cryptocurrency goes mainstreamAirdate February 28, 2021: After a U.S. intelligence report stated that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved the killing of journalist and U.S. resident Jamal Khashoggi, what, if any, will be the consequences for the de facto ruler of Saudia Arabia? And how is Biden’s broader Middle East strategy shaping up? Fareed talks to a panel of experts. Then, Bill Gates discusses his new book about how to avoid a climate disaster, his lessons from COVID-19, and the U.S. economy. Final...Show morely, a look at how major global governments are taking digital currency into the mainstream.
GUESTS: Meghan O'Sullivan, Tarek Masoud, Nicholas Kristof, Bill GatesFeb 28, 2021
- February 21, 2021 | On GPS: Pres. Biden's America-is-back agendaAirdate February 21, 2021: President Biden says, "America is back." But is it? Fareed speaks to an all-star panel about Biden foreign policy. Then, a Texas-sized catastrophe caused by winter weather. Is the world prepared for the ever more severe weather being churned up by climate change? Texas-based climate scientist Katherine Hayhoe tells Fareed. Finally, one nation's surprising Covid-19 success story. How one poor but happy nation has managed to so far only suffer one Covid-19 death.
GUE...Show moreSTS: Zanny Minton Beddoes, Richard Haass, Peter Beinart, Katherine Hayhoe, Annie LowreyFeb 21, 2021
- February 14, 2021 | On GPS: 2nd Trump impeachment trial ends in acquittal; the world after the covid-19 pandemic; America's cyber vulnerabilitiesAirdate February 14, 2021: Trump's second impeachment trial culminated in another acquittal. The former President's critics say it is further evidence that America's democracy is broken. So, what can be done to put it back together and make it stronger? David Frum and Anne Applebaum discuss with Fareed. Then, how far we've come and how far have we yet to go in the Covid-19 pandemic. Former CDC Director Tom Frieden tells Fareed how to thwart a fourth wave and what the new normal will look like. F...Show moreinally, from the massive hack attack against US government and corporate computers that was revealed in December to this week’s revelation of a near-miss in Florida when somebody tried to raise the chemical level in a town’s water supply to poisonous levels, what is going on? New York Times cybersecurity reporter Nicole Perlroth tells Fareed why America is so vulnerable.
GUESTS: David Frum, Anne Applebaum, Tom Frieden, Nicole PerlrothFeb 14, 2021
- February 7, 2021 | On GPS: American adversaries react to President Joe BidenAirdate February 7, 2021: First, Iran. Can the nuclear deal be salvaged? Is Iran willing to re-negotiate? Fareed talks to Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif. Then, Fareed speaks to Chinese Ambassador Cui Tiankai about great power competition, China's treatment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang, the origins of Covid-19, and China's increasing assertiveness towards its neighbors. GUESTS:Javad Zarif, Cui TiankaiFeb 7, 2021