How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- October 18, 2020 | On GPS: What would foreign policy look like under another term of Trump vs. under a President Biden?Airdate October 18, 2020: 16 days to the election. Trump and Biden are worlds apart when it comes to foreign policy. Fareed digs into the differences with Biden foreign policy adviser, Tony Blinken, and former Trump Deputy National Security Adviser, KT McFarland. Then, former U.S. Treasury Secretary Larry Summers tells Fareed that the true cost of the pandemic for America may be as high as $16 TRILLION. And, after 30 hours of hearings for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, what did we lear...Show moren? Emily Bazelon and Noah Feldman are back with Fareed to discuss.
GUESTS: Tony Blinken, KT McFarland, Larry Summers, Emily Bazelon, Noah Feldman
To learn more about how CNN protects listener privacy, visit cnn.com/privacyOct 18, 2020
- October 11, 2020 | On GPS: Al Gore on the 2020 race & whether the world can escape climate change catastrophe; the global rise of far-right extremismAirdate October 11, 2020: Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore tells Fareed what he worries about regarding the November election and whether we can escape climate change catastrophe. Then, much of the U.S. and Europe have seen spikes in Covid-19 cases. What can the West learn from the East about managing the pandemic? Epidemiologist Michael Osterholm tells Fareed. And what does the plot to kidnap Michigan's governor tell us about the rise of the far-right in the U.S. and around the world? Cynthia...Show more Miller-Idriss and Fareed discuss.
GUESTS: Al Gore, Michael Osterholm, Cynthia Miller-Idriss
To learn more about how CNN protects listener privacy, visit cnn.com/privacyOct 11, 2020
- October 4, 2020 | On GPS: Covid-19 sends President Trump to the hospitalAirdate October 4, 2020: President Trump, the first lady, and staffers all contracted Covid-19. How ill is he and what will the coming days bring? Fareed asks Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, former adviser to the Obama White House on health policy and the present advisor to the Biden campaign. And, what can we learn from past U.S. presidents who have fallen ill? CNN presidential historian Tim Naftali tells Fareed. Then, the U.S., Brazil, and the U.K. all rank in the top five nations with the highest Covid-...Show more19 death counts AND now all three have also seen their leaders infected. A panel of top reporters dive into what we can learn from responses abroad. Finally, what does Trump's illness mean for the upcoming election and his race against Biden? Nate Cohn of the New York Times tells Fareed what he's seeing in the polls.
GUESTS: Ezekiel Emanuel, Timothy Naftali, Anne McElvoy, Shasta Darlington, Anton Troianovski, Nate Cohn
To learn more about how CNN protects listener privacy, visit cnn.com/privacyOct 4, 2020
- September 27, 2020 | On GPS: America's potential post-election mess; Trump's Supreme Court Nominee; Javad Zarif on the future of Iran's nuclear dealAirdate September 27, 2020: Will the American people choose their next president? Or will the courts? Fareed gives his Take on how the upcoming U.S. election could pan out. And, who is Amy Coney Barrett? Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court would put the Supreme Court on a much more conservative course. What will that mean for the Court and its rulings on America's most contested issues--abortion rights, gun laws, reproductive rights? Legal experts Noah Feldman and Emily Bazelon explain. Then, F...Show moreoreign Minister Javad Zarif tells Fareed about the pressure Iran feels under U.S. sanctions. What's the future of U.S.-Iran relations? Is the nuclear deal still on the table? Zarif speaks to these questions and more.
GUESTS: Noah Feldman, Emily Bazelon, Javad Zarif
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 27, 2020
- September 20, 2020 | On GPS: Bob Woodward on Justice Ginsburg's years on the Supreme Court & Trump's foreign policy; a new kind of peace in the Middle East; the coming climate catastropheAirdate September 20, 2020: Bob Woodward joins Fareed to discuss the political battle ensuing over the Supreme Court vacancy left in the wake of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death earlier this week. And, Woodward in his latest book, "Rage", based on 17 on-the-record-interviews with President Trump, explores the president's alignment with leaders like Xi, Kim, Erdogan, and Putin. Why has Trump favored these strongmen above America's long-standing allies? Fareed and Woodward discuss. Then, with n...Show moreew Arab nations normalizing relations with Israel, will a new kind of peace come to the Middle East? Mina Al-Oraibi, editor-in-chief of the National newspaper based in the UAE, answers these questions and more. Finally, ProPublica senior environmental reporter Abrahm Lustgarten paints a picture of an America where the walls are closing in, thanks to climate change. He brings us a frightening look at our future. 9/20/2020GUESTS: Bob Woodward, Mina Al-Oraibi, Abrahm LustgartenTV-PG
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 20, 2020
- September 13, 2020 | On GPS: Emerging from the era of lockdowns; is there a new kind of peace brewing in the Middle East?; Taiwan's triumph over Covid-19; how to lead & how to succeed.Air-date September 13, 2020: After 6 months of lock-downs, schools, office buildings, bars and restaurants around the world are reopening. Is this the end of the pandemic? Or is it just the beginning? Also, Pres. Trump brokered Bahrain's new agreement with Israel. What do the UAE and Bahrain’s peace deals mean for the region? Anne-Marie Slaughter, Zanny Minton Beddoes and Ian Bremmer join Fareed to discuss. Then, Taiwan has so far survived Covid-19 nearly unscathed with just 7 deaths and around ...Show more500 cases. What can we learn from the island of 25 million? Chen Chien-jen, Taiwan's former Vice President and an epidemiologist, tells Fareed the story behind the stats. Finally, what makes a leader? What's the secret to their success? David Rubenstein shares his insights with Fareed.
GUESTS: Anne-Marie Slaughter, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Ian Bremmer, Chen Chien-jen, David Rubenstein
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 13, 2020
- August 31st, 2020 | On GPS: How does the world see the United States just two months before the Presidential election? In this special hour of Fareed Zakaria GPS, “How They See Us: A Global View of Trump’s America,”Fareed talks to world leaders and thinkers about the response to COVID-19, President Trump’s actions on the world stage, American political partisanship, protests over police shootings, and much more. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Michelle Bachelet, and other voices from around the globe tell Fareed how the world sees America at this critical juncture. Plus, Fareed offers his own thoughts; will the U.S. learn the lessons of the pandemic, or is...Show more the world witnessing America’s decline?
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Aug 31, 2020
- August 23, 2020 | On GPS: Jared Kushner on stealth fighters, the UAE & Israel and Trump's 2020 campaign; how will Putin react to the unrest in Belarus & the suspected poisoning of Russia's opposition; how to get back to normal without a vaccineAirdate August 23 2020: The U.S. is just over 10 weeks away from election day. President Trump's son-in-law and Senior Advisor Jared Kushner joins Fareed to discuss the 2020 election and Israel's formalized peace agreement with the UAE. Then, as unrest stirs on in Belarus, will Russia take advantage of the former Soviet nation? What happened to Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny? Nina Jankowiwcz answers these questions and more. And, life as we knew it could be closer than we think. Harvar...Show mored Epidemiologist Michael Mina has an idea that could take us back to normalcy before a Covid vaccine.
GUESTS: Jared Kushner, Nina Jankowicz, Michael MinaAug 23, 2020
- August 16, 2020 | On GPS: A new peace deal in the Middle East, lessons from Denmark’s successful school re-opening, Russia claims another Sputnik momentAirdate August 16 2020: The UAE becomes the 3rd Arab nation to normalize relations with Israel, Lebanon teeters on the brink, Hong Kong’s crisis deepens, and protestors contest Belarus’ election results - Fareed talks to former top State Department officials Richard Haass and Anne-Marie Slaughter about all that and Joe Biden’s pick of Kamala Harris as his running mate. Then, as the U.S. struggles to get students back to class, what can it learn from Denmark - the first European country to re-ope...Show moren schools (way back on April 15th)? Danish Education Minister Pernille Rosenkrantz-Theil offers lessons. And Russia claims another Sputnik-like victory, but the world isn’t convinced. So, the question is: who WILL win the race for a Covid-19 vaccine? Fareed looks at the front-runners.
GUESTS: Anne-Marie Slaughter, Richard Haass, Pernille Rosenkrantz-Theil, Bruce FeilerAug 16, 2020
- August 9, 2020 | On GPS: Bill Gates on Covid-19 - where did America go wrong? Also, vaccines & treatments; TikTok & big techAirdate August 9 2020: Per capita, the U.S. has about 15 times as many deaths per day from Covid-19 as the E.U., and 25 times that of Canada. Where did America go wrong? And what can be done to get the crisis under control? Billionaire businessman Bill Gates answers these questions and more. And, back to school amidst the pandemic - how do schools reopen safely? Former CDC director Tom Frieden explains. Also, the blast in Beirut deepened Lebanon's already dire situation. What will become of the ...Show moreParis of the Middle East? Fareed explores.
GUESTS: Bill Gates, Tom FriedenAug 9, 2020