How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- February 21, 2021 | On GPS: Pres. Biden's America-is-back agendaAirdate February 21, 2021: President Biden says, "America is back." But is it? Fareed speaks to an all-star panel about Biden foreign policy. Then, a Texas-sized catastrophe caused by winter weather. Is the world prepared for the ever more severe weather being churned up by climate change? Texas-based climate scientist Katherine Hayhoe tells Fareed. Finally, one nation's surprising Covid-19 success story. How one poor but happy nation has managed to so far only suffer one Covid-19 death.
GUE...Show moreSTS: Zanny Minton Beddoes, Richard Haass, Peter Beinart, Katherine Hayhoe, Annie LowreyFeb 21, 2021
- February 14, 2021 | On GPS: 2nd Trump impeachment trial ends in acquittal; the world after the covid-19 pandemic; America's cyber vulnerabilitiesAirdate February 14, 2021: Trump's second impeachment trial culminated in another acquittal. The former President's critics say it is further evidence that America's democracy is broken. So, what can be done to put it back together and make it stronger? David Frum and Anne Applebaum discuss with Fareed. Then, how far we've come and how far have we yet to go in the Covid-19 pandemic. Former CDC Director Tom Frieden tells Fareed how to thwart a fourth wave and what the new normal will look like. F...Show moreinally, from the massive hack attack against US government and corporate computers that was revealed in December to this week’s revelation of a near-miss in Florida when somebody tried to raise the chemical level in a town’s water supply to poisonous levels, what is going on? New York Times cybersecurity reporter Nicole Perlroth tells Fareed why America is so vulnerable.
GUESTS: David Frum, Anne Applebaum, Tom Frieden, Nicole PerlrothFeb 14, 2021
- February 7, 2021 | On GPS: American adversaries react to President Joe BidenAirdate February 7, 2021: First, Iran. Can the nuclear deal be salvaged? Is Iran willing to re-negotiate? Fareed talks to Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif. Then, Fareed speaks to Chinese Ambassador Cui Tiankai about great power competition, China's treatment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang, the origins of Covid-19, and China's increasing assertiveness towards its neighbors. GUESTS:Javad Zarif, Cui TiankaiFeb 7, 2021
- January 31, 2021 | On GPS: Vaccine nationalism; the movement arising around Alexey Navalny; exclusive one-on-one with John KerryAirdate January 31, 2021: Fareed gives his take on the dangers of vaccine nationalism and what it could mean for world's recovery from Covid-19. Then, for the second weekend in a row Russians heeded the rallying cry of Kremlin critic Alexey Navalny. Demonstrations against Putin were planned in over 120 cities across the country. Will Russia's government continue its harsh response to the protests? And, how will this change U.S.-Russia relations? Julia Ioffe and Alexander Gabuev join Fareed to di...Show morescuss. Then, in an exclusive, one-on-one interview, Biden's climate envoy, John Kerry tells Fareed about the administration's ambitious plan to curb the climate crisis.
GUESTS: Alexander Gabuev, Julia Ioffe, John KerryJan 31, 2021
- January 24, 2021 | On GPS: President Biden's arrival in office - how is the world reacting?Airdate January 24, 2021: President Biden swiftly took action to move away from many of the policies of the last 4 years. What is the reaction from U.S. allies and competitors? Fareed gets perspectives from the UK, China, Germany and Mexico. Then, as Covid cases worldwide approach 100-million, new variants have cropped up, and vaccine rollouts are underway. Is herd immunity on the horizon? CNN's chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta answers pressing questions about COVID-19 and tells Fareed a...Show morebout his latest book "Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age."
GUESTS: David Miliband, Keyu Jin, Wolfgang Ischinger, Jorge Castañeda, Sanjay GuptaJan 24, 2021
- January 17, 2021 | On GPS: Countering domestic terrorism in America; Trump's 2nd impeachment; the threat of far-right extremismAirdate January 17, 2021: Washington is on high alert and under heavy guard after last week's attack on the capitol. And now the House has impeached Pres. Trump for a second time, will the Senate convict? Former Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson and Fareed discuss safety, security and moving America forward. Then, with a flurry of last-minute diplomacy moves in China, Cuba, Yemen and Iran, Sec. Pompeo has seen to it that Biden’s transition in will not be easy. Susan Glasser tells what ...Show moreto make of it all. Finally, how can America’s robust democracy be restored? One of the world’s foremost experts on authoritarianism explains what individual Americans can do.
GUESTS: Jeh Johnson, Cynthia Miller-Idriss, Susan Glasser, Tim SnyderJan 17, 2021
- January 10, 2021 | On GPS: Attack on the U.S. Capitol - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on the way forwardAirdate January 10, 2021: Insurrection in America as a pro-Trump mob storms the U.S. Capitol. How does the U.S. move forward from here? Is impeachment the answer? How will this change the world's view of America? Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and Fareed discuss. Then, Anne Applebaum and Ezra Klein discuss how the lure of authoritarianism and America's polarization played into the attack. And, is this violent response to the election really unprecedented? Pre-eminent historian Eric Foner...Show more and Fareed discuss this moment's roots in American history.
GUESTS: Colin Powell, Anne Applebaum, Ezra Klein, Eric FonerJan 10, 2021
- January 3, 2021 | On GPS: Exclusive interview with President-elect Biden's incoming National Security Adviser, Jake SullivanAirdate January 3, 2021: Fareed talks to incoming National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan about the global challenges the Biden administration will face. Are the U.S. and China entering a cold war? Can the President-elect revive the Iran nuclear deal? What will his policies toward Russia and the Middle East be? And what kind of cooperation is team Biden getting from team Trump? Get to know the man who will soon have one of the key jobs in the White House. GUESTS: Jake SullivanJan 3, 2021
- December 20, 2020 | On GPS: Russia's alleged cyber hack on U.S. government – how bad was it for American national security?Airdate December 20, 2020: David Sanger describes the recent hack on U.S. government agencies as the biggest national intelligence failure since Pearl Harbor. All fingers point to Russia as the perpetrator. Just how severe is this intrusion? Fareed and Sanger discuss. And, what should the U.S. response be? Former National Security Advisor Tom Donilon tells Fareed. Then, vaccines have been approved and administered throughout the U.K. and the U.S. Is there light at the end of the COVID-19 darknes...Show mores? Fareed asks global health expert Devi Sridhar.
GUESTS: David Sanger, Tom Donilon, Devi Sridhar, Noah FeldmanDec 20, 2020
- December 13, 2020 | On GPS: The great American vaccination campaign begins; Brexit on the brink again; chef & humanitarian Jose Andres on feeding AmericaAirdate December 13, 2020: The light at the end of the Covid tunnel - the first vaccines were administered in the U.K., and in the U.S. they're making their way around the country. Founder and Chairman of Moderna, Noubar Afeyan, talks to Fareed about his revolutionary vaccines and how they got from concept to ready-for-authorization so quickly. And, Britain has 18 days to reach a Brexit agreement. Can the U.K. and the E.U. find common ground? Fareed asks British journalist Zanny Minton Beddoes a...Show morend Christine Ockrent, a journalist based in France. Then, Covid spurred another public health crisis in the U.S. and around the world: food insecurity. Fareed speaks to chef and humanitarian José Andrés about his idea to make sure no American goes hungry.
GUESTS: Noubar Afeyan, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Christine Ockrent, José AndrésDec 13, 2020