The Daily DC
CNN's Political Director David Chalian lives, breathes, and sleeps politics, so who better to help make sense of the ever-shifting political landscape? Join David and his colleagues as they ask tough questions, provide insight and analysis, and help you separate the political signal from the noise. Every weekday.
- Feb 21, 2020Russian Meddling: The SequelThe Nevada caucuses are tomorrow, but it feels like the high stakes election is taking a back seat to unfolding events in Washington, D.C. Between the trial of Roger Stone, new reports about Russian interference, and drama surrounding one of the top jobs in the intelligence community, there's a lot to unpack this Friday. CNN Senior Writer Zach Wolf, CNN Political Analyst Sabrina Siddiqui and CNN Crime and Justice Reporter Katelyn Polantz discuss the intersection of the 2020 primary races with the political implications of potential Russian interference.
- Feb 20, 2020Sanders emerges unscathed, Bloomberg takes pummelingIt was a debate for the ages. Senator Elizabeth Warren led a relentless assault on Mike Bloomberg's record and character. The billionaire former mayor struggled to mount a defense. Senator Amy Klobuchar also came under attack. Her rivalry with former mayor Pete Buttigieg has reached a fever pitch. Meanwhile, former Vice President Joe Biden struggled to break through and frontrunner Senator Bernie Sanders largely avoided controversy. CNN political director David Chalian breaks down a historic night in Las Vegas with CNN senior political commentator Ryan Lizza.
- Feb 19, 2020Bloomberg takes center stage; rivals take aimIt's the ninth debate of the 2020 cycle, but it's a unique one. For the first time, former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg takes the stage - and he'll likely take heat from his rivals. Meanwhile, Senator Bernie Sanders is steadily building a commanding lead in the polls. Can the other contenders close the gap? CNN senior Washington correspondent Jeff Zeleny joins CNN political director David Chalian for a deep-dive on the fight for the Democratic nomination.
- Feb 18, 2020The Revolutionary v The BillionaireSenator Bernie Sanders has an energetic base, strong poll numbers, and now the perfect foil on the debate stage: billionaire Mike Bloomberg. The former New York City Mayor has built an impressive campaign apparatus, but is he clogging up the moderate lane to the Democratic nomination? And how will he perform in his first debate of the 2020 cycle? Plus, warning signs emerge that Nevada, like Iowa, might struggle to execute their caucuses. CNN political director David Chalian talks all things 2020 with CNN political reporter Dan Merica.
- Feb 14, 2020Key Nevada union fires a blankThe powerful Nevada Culinary Union has decided to endorse...no one. The unusual move comes as the union works to reject Senator Bernie Sanders' vision for healthcare. CNN Senior National Correspondent Kyung Lah reports from Las Vegas, where she's following Senator Amy Klobuchar. The Minnesota moderate is sharpening her attack on President Trump. Plus, CNN political director David Chalian and CNN senior political analyst Ryan Lizza read between the lines of Attorney General Bill Bar's criticism of the President. And will Democrats win over disaffected Trump voters?
- Feb 13, 2020How can Bernie Sanders expand his coalition?Senator Bernie Sanders has a loyal following, but can he grow his base of support? CNN Washington Correspondent Ryan Nobles reports on what he's learned following the Sanders campaign across the country. Plus, CNN political director David Chalian and CNN Political Analyst Jackie Kucinich discuss the new level of scrutiny directed at former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg. He has the money to run a successful campaign - but will his record hurt him within communities of color?
- Feb 12, 2020Sanders rises, Warren fallsNew Hampshire felt the Bern. Senator Bernie Sanders cruised to a victory in the Granite State; Former Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Senator Amy Klobuchar also garnered significant support. But it was a different story for former Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Elizabeth Warren. Are their days as 2020 contenders numbered? CNN political correspondent MJ Lee takes us inside the Warren campaign as the Massachusetts progressive tries to recalibrate her message. CNN political director David Chalian plots each candidates' path forward with CNN political analyst Julie Pace.
- Feb 11, 2020Bernie on top, Biden skips town, and Bloomberg waits in the wingsThe first votes of the 2020 presidential election are being cast in New Hampshire today. CNN senior writer Zach Wolf connects with CNN political reporter Dan Merica for the latest on the ground in the Granite State. Plus, CNN political commentator Sarah Isgur unpacks the electability argument and explains how the primary schedule benefits campaigns with little name recognition.
- Feb 10, 2020In moderate lane, Biden takes aim at ButtigiegOn the eve of the New Hampshire primary, CNN chief political correspondent Dana Bash joins CNN political director David Chalian to discuss the latest developments in the Granite State. Out on the campaign trail, former Vice President Joe Biden is attacking former Mayor Pete Buttigieg's inexperience. But Buttigieg relishes the outsider role. Meanwhile, Amy Klobuchar is looking to capitalize on a strong debate performance. Which moderate will break through?
- Feb 7, 2020Dan Merica wore the wrong shoes for New HampshireWhat a week! In the wake of a chaotic Iowa caucus the Democratic presidential contenders are fighting for their electoral lives in New Hampshire. CNN political reporter Dan Merica calls in from the Granite state to describe the very latest. Meanwhile, a newly emboldened President Trump can tout a strong economy and a successful fight against impeachment. Democratic strategist Maria Cardona shares her thoughts on the winning message for her party in its fight for the White House. CNN senior writer Zach Wolf hosts.