The Daily DC
CNN's Political Director David Chalian lives, breathes, and sleeps politics, so who better to help make sense of the ever-shifting political landscape? Join David and his colleagues as they ask tough questions, provide insight and analysis, and help you separate the political signal from the noise. Every weekday.
- Feb 14, 2020Key Nevada union fires a blankThe powerful Nevada Culinary Union has decided to endorse...no one. The unusual move comes as the union works to reject Senator Bernie Sanders' vision for healthcare. CNN Senior National Correspondent Kyung Lah reports from Las Vegas, where she's following Senator Amy Klobuchar. The Minnesota moderate is sharpening her attack on President Trump. Plus, CNN political director David Chalian and CNN senior political analyst Ryan Lizza read between the lines of Attorney General Bill Bar's criticism of the President. And will Democrats win over disaffected Trump voters?
- Feb 13, 2020How can Bernie Sanders expand his coalition?Senator Bernie Sanders has a loyal following, but can he grow his base of support? CNN Washington Correspondent Ryan Nobles reports on what he's learned following the Sanders campaign across the country. Plus, CNN political director David Chalian and CNN Political Analyst Jackie Kucinich discuss the new level of scrutiny directed at former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg. He has the money to run a successful campaign - but will his record hurt him within communities of color?
- Feb 12, 2020Sanders rises, Warren fallsNew Hampshire felt the Bern. Senator Bernie Sanders cruised to a victory in the Granite State; Former Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Senator Amy Klobuchar also garnered significant support. But it was a different story for former Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Elizabeth Warren. Are their days as 2020 contenders numbered? CNN political correspondent MJ Lee takes us inside the Warren campaign as the Massachusetts progressive tries to recalibrate her message. CNN political director David Chalian plots each candidates' path forward with CNN political analyst Julie Pace.
- Feb 11, 2020Bernie on top, Biden skips town, and Bloomberg waits in the wingsThe first votes of the 2020 presidential election are being cast in New Hampshire today. CNN senior writer Zach Wolf connects with CNN political reporter Dan Merica for the latest on the ground in the Granite State. Plus, CNN political commentator Sarah Isgur unpacks the electability argument and explains how the primary schedule benefits campaigns with little name recognition.
- Feb 10, 2020In moderate lane, Biden takes aim at ButtigiegOn the eve of the New Hampshire primary, CNN chief political correspondent Dana Bash joins CNN political director David Chalian to discuss the latest developments in the Granite State. Out on the campaign trail, former Vice President Joe Biden is attacking former Mayor Pete Buttigieg's inexperience. But Buttigieg relishes the outsider role. Meanwhile, Amy Klobuchar is looking to capitalize on a strong debate performance. Which moderate will break through?
- Feb 7, 2020Dan Merica wore the wrong shoes for New HampshireWhat a week! In the wake of a chaotic Iowa caucus the Democratic presidential contenders are fighting for their electoral lives in New Hampshire. CNN political reporter Dan Merica calls in from the Granite state to describe the very latest. Meanwhile, a newly emboldened President Trump can tout a strong economy and a successful fight against impeachment. Democratic strategist Maria Cardona shares her thoughts on the winning message for her party in its fight for the White House. CNN senior writer Zach Wolf hosts.
- Feb 6, 2020A campaign rally in the East RoomPresident Trump is feeling vindicated...and vindictive. During a remarkable event in the White House East Room, Trump lashed out at rivals and praised steadfast supporters. Meanwhile, confusion continues to overshadow the Iowa caucus results. CNN political director David Chalian explains how a recanvass would work. Plus, CNN chief political correspondent Dana Bash previews tonight's New Hampshire town hall with 2020 longshot Deval Patrick.
- Feb 5, 2020An acquittal, a partisan beef, and a single Senator who defied his partyThe impeachment saga is over; President Trump has been acquitted. But the intensifying acrimony between Trump and his Democratic rivals was evident at the State of the Union address. He refused to shake the hand of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. She, in turn, ripped up her copy of his prepared remarks. Now Republican Senator Mitt Romney, who broke the party line Senate trial vote, is drawing the President's scorn. Plus, the Iowa caucus results continue to be shrouded in controversy. Is American democracy broken? CNN senior writer Zach Wolf breaks down a historic week in Washington with CNN political director David Chalian and CNN reporter and producer Marshall Cohen.
- Feb 4, 2020As Democrats make a mess in Iowa, Trump gloatsIt's a bad look for America. Doubt and confusion dominated the Democratic caucuses in Iowa, giving President Trump a reason to gloat. How will the chaos impact the 2020 leading contenders? Plus, on the eve of his all-but-guaranteed acquittal, Trump will deliver the State of the Union address. Will he mention impeachment? CNN senior writer Zach Wolf makes sense of a jaw-dropping 24 hours with CNN political analyst Julie Pace.
- Feb 3, 20202020 primary kicks off as impeachment winds downOne vote is a foregone conclusion, the other is a toss-up. As the Senate wraps up the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump - an acquittal is expected on Wednesday - voters in Iowa are preparing to cast the first votes of the 2020 cycle. CNN political director David Chalian and CNN senior writer Zach Wolf discuss the intersection of these consequential events. Plus, CNN political reporter Abby Phillip calls in from Des Moines, where she's been following the Buttigieg campaign, to describe the last-minute efforts to impress voters.