The Daily DC
CNN's Political Director David Chalian lives, breathes, and sleeps politics, so who better to help make sense of the ever-shifting political landscape? Join David and his colleagues as they ask tough questions, provide insight and analysis, and help you separate the political signal from the noise. Every weekday.
- Apr 2, 2020"This is Not a Hypothetical Issue"After the immediate coronavirus public health emergency subsides, the medical and legal ramifications of the pandemic will likely linger for a generation. Join CNN Political Director David Chalian, CNN Chief Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin, and CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Art Caplan to discuss the constitutionality of stay-at-home orders, the difficult decisions about care hospitals and doctors will start making soon, and whether public health should be given priority over individual freedom.
- Apr 1, 2020New Orleans' "Brace for Impact"With New Orleans facing a rapidly rising death toll from coronavirus, CNN Political Director David Chalian and Former New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu go inside how a city prepares for a crisis like being a hotspot for the disease. Plus, the personal impact of the crisis in New Orleans and how Mardi Gras celebrations may have helped spread the pandemic.
- Apr 1, 2020The "Mind Blowing" Economic Consequences of COVID-19The first of April is tomorrow, and people across the country won't be able to pay their bills. How will the actions that government and cooperations taken so far help those experiencing the very real economic effects of the coronavirus crisis? Join CNN Political Director David Chalian, CNN Senior Writer Zach Wolf, and CNN Anchor and Correspondent Julia Chatterley to break down just how bad the economy will get for Americans and how to get it back on track.
- Mar 31, 2020The "Mind Blowing" Economic Consequences of COVID-19Many people across the country are just beginning to feel the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic on their lives as the calendar turns to April 1 and many monthly bills are due to be paid. Unemployment is expected to hit unimaginable highs and the economy overall is expected to contract at levels most Americans have never seen. Join CNN Political Director David Chalian, CNN Senior Writer Zach Wolf, and CNN Anchor and Correspondent Julia Chatterly as they break down just how bad the eco...Show morenomy might get for Americans and how it can get back on track.
- Mar 30, 2020How Long Will Social Distancing Last?As the number of cases continues to rise, and the death toll mounts, President Trump extends his social distancing guidelines by one month. But just how long could those guidelines last? Plus, checking in on how frontline medical workers are holding up and what they need to combat this crisis.
- Mar 27, 2020Governing in CrisisAs the Covid-19 pandemic continues to spread across the country, governors are fighting for the welfare of their constituents. Find out what that feels like as CNN political director David Chalian talks to former governor of Ohio John Kasich who led his state during a the Ebola outbreak.
- Mar 26, 2020Covid-19's Effect on National SecurityAs the coronavirus crisis worsens in the US, CNN Political Director David Chalian and CNN Anchor and Chief National Security Correspondent Jim Sciutto step back and look at the global reverberations of the pandemic. They break down everything from the military implications to the future of foreign relations.
- Mar 25, 2020The Health Care System Hits "DEFCON 1"Join CNN Political Director David Chalian and CNN Contributors Dr. Abdul El-Sayed and Wajahat Ali to go inside the strain the Coronavirus crisis is putting on the nations' health care system and the criticism with the President's goal to have America back to work by Easter. Plus, the personal challenges and human costs of the crisis.
- Mar 24, 2020Trump Sets Easter Target To Get America Back To WorkWhile the Senate inches closer to a deal on the stimulus bill, President Trump is eager to get the economy up and running is as few as 3 weeks in spite of what many public health experts are saying: we are in this for the long haul. Join CNN political director David Chalian as he talks to CNN congressional reporter Alex Rogers and CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen on the latest updates.
- Mar 23, 2020Congress' Dilemma: Spending Swiftly vs. Spending WiselyCongress must pass an economic stimulus to aide the flagging economy, but Washington gamesmanship and political leverage plays aren't disappearing despite the crisis. As the pressure increases, Congress must choose between spending swiftly and spending wisely. Join CNN Political Director David Chalian, CNN Congressional Correspondent Phil Mattingly, and CNN Economics Commentator Catherine Rampell to break down the latest stimulus details.