How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
CNN Breaking News Alert
The latest updates on breaking news and events.
- ListenMississippi asks the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. WadeMississippi's attorney general told the Supreme Court on Thursday that Roe v. Wade was "egregiously wrong" and should be overturned as she urged the justices to allow a controversial law that bars most abortions after 15 weeks to go into effect.Jul 22, 2021
- ListenNFL says coronavirus outbreaks among unvaccinated players may lead to forfeits this seasonIf a National Football League game cannot be rescheduled and is canceled due to a Covid-19 outbreak among unvaccinated players, that team will have to forfeit and will be credited with a loss, the NFL said in a league-wide memo obtained by CNN.
The new rule makes being unvaccinated a competitive disadvantage this year, all part of the league's push to get players and staff inoculated ahead of the coming season. The NFL has also said that any team that vaccinates 85% of its players and staff can relax their safety protocols and has applied looser rules to vaccinated players.Jul 22, 2021
- ListenTakeaways from Biden's town hallPresident Joe Biden arrived in Ohio on Wednesday mindful the days for actual bipartisan governing in Washington are quickly waning.
Throughout his CNN town hall, he voiced again and again his conviction that Republicans will come along, even though some are poisoned by conspiracies and others, he said, are "lying" on his record.
He was confronted with open skepticism by some of his questioners, particularly on the matter of voting rights. But he plodded ahead, elevating his belief in bipartisanship as nothing less than a quest to prove Democracy can work.Jul 21, 2021
- ListenMcCarthy pulls his 5 GOP members from Capitol riot committee after Pelosi rejects 2 of his picksHouse Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is pulling his five Republican members selected to join the House committee that's investigating the January 6 insurrection, following House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's decision to reject two of McCarthy's picks, a source with direct knowledge confirmed to CNN.
Earlier Wednesday, Pelosi announced she was vetoing the appointment of two Republicans who objected to the certification of the November election, Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio and Jim Banks of Indiana, to the House select committee.Jul 21, 2021
- ListenBrisbane officially announced as host of 2032 OlympicsBrisbane has been officially announced as host of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032.
The Australian city and surrounding South-East Queensland region were approved as the Games hosts at an International Olympic Committee session in Tokyo on Wednesday.
It will be Brisbane's first Games, although Australia has previously hosted two: Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000.Jul 21, 2021
- ListenUS life expectancy falls by more than a year due to Covid-19 pandemic, CDC study saysLife expectancy in the United States fell by a year and a half in 2020 primarily due to increases in death due to the Covid-19 pandemic, according to early data released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"U.S. life expectancy at birth for 2020, based on nearly final data, was 77.3 years, the lowest it has been since 2003," researchers at the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics wrote in a new report published on Wednesday.
US life expectancy declined from 78.8 years in 2019 to 77.3 years in 2020, the researchers reported, and Covid-19 deaths contributed to 73.8% of that decline.
The report was based on provisional data from death and birth records for the year 2020, processed by the National Center for Health Statistics. Since the study relied on recorded deaths and births, some deaths or births that had not yet been counted or recorded were not included in the early data.Jul 21, 2021
- ListenThe Milwaukee Bucks are NBA champions for the first time since 1971The Milwaukee Bucks won their first NBA championship in 50 years, downing the Phoenix Suns 105-98 in Tuesday's Game 6 of the NBA Finals in Milwaukee.
Star Giannis Antetokounmpo led the Bucks with 50 points and 14 rebounds. Khris Middleton chipped in 17 points and Bobby Portis had 16. Phoenix's Chris Paul led the Suns with 26 points.
Antetokounmpo was the first player to have at least 40 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks in a Finals' game since blocks were first recorded in 1974, the NBA tweeted. He became the seventh player to have at least 50 points in the championship round.
In 1971 the Bucks won the title in their third season behind the standout play of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) and Oscar Robertson. They beat the Baltimore Bullets in the final four games to none, winning the final game on the road.Jul 21, 2021
- ListenTrump ally Tom Barrack charged with acting as an agent of a foreign governmentTom Barrack, a former adviser to former President Donald Trump, was charged Tuesday with illegal foreign lobbying on behalf of the United Arab Emirates for what federal prosecutors described as an effort to influence the foreign policy positions of both the 2016 Trump presidential campaign and the subsequent incoming administration.
Barrack is charged in a seven-count indictment with acting as an agent of the UAE between April 2016 and April 2018. He is also charged with obstruction of justice and making false statements to federal law enforcement agents.Jul 20, 2021
- ListenJeff Bezos just went to space and backJeff Bezos, the world's richest man, went to space and back Tuesday morning on an 11-minute, supersonic joy ride aboard the rocket and capsule system developed by his space company, Blue Origin.
Riding alongside the multibillionaire were Bezos' brother, Mark Bezos; Wally Funk, an 82-year-old pilot and one of the "Mercury 13" women who trained to go to space in the 20th century but never got to fly; and an 18-year old recent high school graduate named Oliver Daemen who was Blue Origin's first paying customer and whose father, an investor, purchased his ticket.
Funk and Daemen became the oldest and youngest people, respectively, ever to travel to space. And this flight marked the first-ever crewed mission for Blue Origin's New Shepard suborbital space tourism rocket, which the company plans to use to take wealthy thrill seekers on high-flying joy rides in the months and years to come.Jul 20, 2021
- ListenDow sinks more than 700 points as Delta variant fears hit Wall Street hardInvestors are getting spooked by the rising numbers of Covid-19 cases as the Delta variant spreads across the globe.
The Dow fell about 725 points Monday, a drop of 2.1%. The S&P 500 ended the day down 1.6% and the Nasdaq was 1.1% lower.
This was the worst day for the Dow since a 943-point drop in late October, and it was the biggest decline this year.
Investors feared that the Delta coronavirus variant could threaten the US economic recovery. Shares of companies in sectors that were widely thought to benefit most from the reopening of the economy were hit the hardest.Jul 19, 2021