How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
- Protesters on the streets for third night after police shooting in MinnesotaAs curfew approaches, people march on the streets of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota calling for justice for Daunte Wright. Officer Kim Potter, the police veteran who fired the deadly shot, has quit the force.
The chief of police has also stepped down. The city manager has been fired. Jonathan Mason, who mentored Daunte Wright in high school, talks to Anderson about Wright's hopes and dreams.
And in the trial of Derek Chauvin, it was day one for the defense. But testimony under cross examinatio...Show moren from a key witness might have been more useful to the prosecution.
George Floyd family attorney, Antonio Romanucci, joins Anderson.
Airdate: April 13, 2021
Antonio RomanucciApr 13, 2021
- Protesters on the streets in Minnesota with curfews in effectAnother deadly police shooting in Minnesota. Duante Wright was killed during a traffic stop and a medical examiner has ruled his death a homicide. Sybrina Fulton, the mother of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was shot to death by a neighborhood watchman in 2012, joins Anderson to discuss the pain associated with the killing of a loved one. Plus, Senator Bernie Sanders is pushing the White House to expand Medicare as part of President Biden’s massive infrastructure bill.
Sanders wants to lower...Show more Medicare’s eligibility age from 65 down to 60 or 55 year olds. He explains why the expansion should be prioritized. And a sad update to a story about addiction we first brought to you more than 3 years ago.
Airdate: April 12, 2021
Sen. Bernie SandersApr 12, 2021
- Medical Examiner: Floyd had heart disease but officer interaction "was more than Floyd could take"On the tenth day of witness testimony in the Derek Chauvin murder trial, two physicians, including the medical examiner who performed the autopsy on George Floyd and ruled his death a homicide, faced intense questioning from the prosecution and the defense. Benjamin Crump is the attorney for George Floyd's family. He joins AC360 to discuss the trial. Plus, the United Kingdom is mourning with Queen Elizabeth at the loss of her beloved husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. He was 99.
Airdate: April 9, 2021
Lawrence KobilinskyApr 9, 2021
- Doctor: Floyd’s preexisting conditions and drug use had no impact on deathA renowned pulmonary critical care doctor testified that George Floyd’s preexisting conditions and drug use had no impact on his death and that he died from “low level of oxygen” when former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin pinned him to the street. Shareeduh Tate is George Floyd’s cousin and the president of the George Floyd Foundation. She joins AC360 to discuss the trial and says she “feels good about what the prosecution is doing.” Plus, at least one person was killed and five others...Show more were wounded in a shooting in Texas just hours after President Biden announced limited gun restrictions. Rep. Lucy McBath has been fighting in Congress for legislation around gun safety after her son was shot and killed in 2012. She tells Anderson Cooper that Biden is acting to save lives but it’s up to Congress to “do right by Americans and put forth life saving measures.”
Airdate: April 8, 2021
Rep. Lucy McBathApr 8, 2021
- CDC Director: UK variant is now dominant coronavirus strain in the U.S.CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said the coronavirus variant first identified in the United Kingdom is now the most common strain in the United States. Studies suggest the UK variant is more contagious than the original strain. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci tells Anderson Cooper it’s a race between getting people vaccinated and a potential surge. Plus, a Los Angeles Police Department use-of-force expert says former Minneapolis Police officer ...Show moreDerek Chauvin used “deadly force” on George Floyd when none was necessary. Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, the chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, has tweeted “Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd in cold blood. It’s not that complicated.” He joins AC360 to discuss the trial and says he believes the evidence “points to a clear conviction.”
Airdate: April 7, 2021
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries
Dr. Anthony FauciApr 7, 2021
- Police use-of-force expert: Derek Chauvin’s kneeling is not trained restraint tacticA Minneapolis Police use-of-force training instructor testified that Derek Chauvin’s kneeling on George Floyd’s neck is not a trained restraint tactic. Meanwhile, the defense zeroed in on a theory that bystanders distracted the former Minneapolis Police officer. Jose Baez is a criminal defense attorney and successfully represented Casey Anthony when she was on trial for first-degree murder of her 2-year-old daughter. He joins AC360 to discuss the defense’s argument. Plus, the New York Times’ Mag...Show moregie Haberman is reporting that Rep. Matt Gaetz privately asked the White House for blanket pre-emptive pardons for himself and unidentified congressional allies during President Trump’s final days in office. The Florida Republican is being investigated by the DOJ for allegations that he broke federal sex trafficking and prostitution laws. Haberman tells Anderson Cooper White House officials thought it was bizarre and “knocked it down pretty quicky.”
Airtime: April 6, 2021
Preet BhararaApr 6, 2021
- Police Chief: Chauvin “absolutely” violated neck restraint policyMinneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo testified that former officer Derek Chauvin’s actions were “in no way, shape or form” proper and “absolutely” violated the department’s neck restraint policy. Former Washington DC Police Chief and Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey joins AC360 to discuss the police chief’s testimony. Plus, Michigan recently added more than 8,400 new Covid-19 cases in one day, the most since December. CNN Senior National Correspondent Miguel Marquez brings A...Show moreC360 into a Michigan hospital that’s fighting its third coronavirus surge.
Airdate: April 5, 2021
Miguel MarquezApr 5, 2021
- Chauvin’s supervisor: Restraint of Floyd could have ended earlierFormer Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin’s supervisor testified that the force being used by officers should have stopped earlier. Retired Sgt. David Pleoger told the court “when Mr. Floyd was no longer offering up any resistance to the officers, they could have ended the restraint.” Chauvin’s defense team has already said the jury will learn that the former police officer “did exactly what he had been trained to do.” Mark O’Mara is a criminal defense attorney and successfully represented...Show more George Zimmerman, who was found not guilty for the murder of Trayvon Martin. O’Mara joins AC360 to discuss Pleoger’s testimony and the strategy for the defense. Plus, sources tell CNN Rep. Matt Gaetz showed nude photos of women he said he’d slept with to lawmakers, including while on the House floor. The Florida Republican is being investigated by the Justice Department over sex trafficking allegations. Former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara tells AC360 the DOJ takes these cases seriously because “it involves minors.”
Airdate: April 1, 2021
Preet BhararaApr 1, 2021
- Graphic body cam videos of George Floyd’s arrest played in courtBody camera videos from Minneapolis police officers were played in court during his criminal trial and showed the jury what witnesses saw as George Floyd took his last breaths. One video showed Floyd crying and begging officers to “please don’t shoot me” as they first approached him in a car. Witnesses can also be heard on the footage pleading with officers to check his pulse. Former federal prosecutor Laura Coates joins AC360 to discuss the new video and whether or not she thinks the defense te...Show moream will have Chauvin take the stand. Plus, a source tells CNN the Justice Department is investigating Rep. Matt Gaetz over allegations involving sex trafficking and prostitution. The inquiry is part of a broader trafficking probe into another Florida politician. Former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe tells AC360 nobody opens a sex trafficking investigation on a sitting member of Congress without having a significant degree of information.
Airdate: March 31, 2021
Andrew McCabeMar 31, 2021
- Firefighter, 9-year-old and teens give powerful testimony in Derek Chauvin trialSix bystanders who witnessed George Floyd die took the stand on the second day of Derek Chauvin’s criminal trial. The jury heard testimony from a 9-year-old, three high school students, a mixed martial arts fighter and a Minneapolis firefighter. MMA fighter Donald Wynn Williams II said he “felt the need to call the police on the police” because “I believe I witnessed a murder.” Former federal prosecutor Laura Coates tells AC360 testimony like Williams’ helps the prosecution “tremendously” becaus...Show moree it builds upon what other witnesses are testifying. Plus, all 50 states have expanded or have plans to expand their Covid-19 vaccine eligibility to everyone 16 and up as cases rise in 24 states. Dr. Peter Hotez is the co-director at the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children's Hospital. He joins AC360 to discuss to the spike in cases and says it’s a matter of “not doing reckless things until we can vaccinate the American people.”
Airdate: March 30, 2021
Dr. Peter HotezMar 30, 2021