How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
- Amanpour: Loretta Lynch, Harry Reid, Alexandria Villaseñor and Hansi Lo WangThe former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch joins Christiane Amanpour to discuss some of the controversial statements and decisions made by her successor, William Barr. She highlights how the current AG has never had to face racism and should recognize that not all Americans had the same experience of the justice system growing up. Then turning to the climate crisis, former Senate Majority leader Harry Reid and youth climate activist Alexandria Villaseñor talk wildfires, government accountabi...Show morelity for our planet and their new documentary series "Earth Focus." Our Hari Sreenivasan speaks to NPR correspondent Hansi Lo Wang unpacks fatal problems with this year’s U.S. census; namely the politicisation of the 2020 count and how it could shape the country.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 23, 2020
- Amanpour: Stacey Abrams, Jeremy Farrar and Doris Kearns GoodwinWith a little less than two months away from the U.S. election, voting rights activist Stacey Abrams joins Christiane Amanpour to discuss America's history of voter suppression, how voting can fix it and her new documentary "All In: The Fight for Democracy." Then we unpack at the latest developments in the coronavirus pandemic, including a second wave in the UK, with government adviser and director of the Wellcome Trust Jeremy Farrar. Our Walter Isaacson speaks Doris Kearns Goodwin, U.S. preside...Show morential historian, about the extraordinary life and legacy of the cultural icon and late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 22, 2020
- Amanpour: Andrew McCabe, Alex Gibney, Yoruba Richen, and Jay ShettyAlex Gibney, Director of “Agents of Chaos,” and Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe join Christiane Amanpour to discuss the new documentary that pulls back the curtain on Russian interference in 2016. Then, Yoruba Richen, Director of "The Sit-In: Harry Belafonte Hosts The Tonight Show" talks about the iconic Black singer and activist who made history. Our Hari Sreenivasan speaks to podcast host and author Jay Shetty about his latest book, “Think Like a Monk.”
See omnystudio.com/policies/...Show morelistener for privacy information.Sep 20, 2020
- Amanpour: Kim Darroch, Billie Jean King, and Joshua L. PowellFormer British Ambassador to the US Kim Darroch sits down with Christiane Amanpour in London to discuss the leaked cables about President Trump that ended his career, and the future of the "special relationship." Then, turning to the world of sport, former tennis champion Billie Jean King talks about mixing athleticism and activism. She also reflects on her legacy as the Fed Cup is renamed in her honor. Our Michel Martin speaks with former NRA senior strategist Joshua L. Powell about his new boo...Show morek, “Inside the NRA,” which accuses the organization of corruption and political extremism.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 18, 2020
- Amanpour: Kwame Kwei-Armah, Al Franken, Adrian Wooldridge and John MicklethwaitThe coronavirus pandemic has had an impact on nearly every industry, and the arts especially are feeling the strain, with theatres still unable to reopen their doors. Kwame Kwei-Armah is the artistic director at London’s prestigious The Young Vic; he joins Christiane Amanpour to discuss how he and his peers are dealing with this and looking to the future. He also opens up about his experience as a black man in the industry and the racism he’s faced. Then turning to U.S. politics, Al Franken, for...Show moremer Senate Democrat and author of "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them," traces the war on facts-- from Rush Limbaugh to the current administration. Our Walter Isaacson speaks to Adrian Wooldridge, The Economist political editor, and John Micklethwait, Bloomberg News editor-in-chief, about how the pandemic has highlighted weaknesses in Western governments.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 17, 2020
- Amanpour: Michael Anton, Brendan Byrne, Melinda Gates, and Eddie S. Glaude Jr.Michael Anton, former National Security Council spokesman and author of "The Stakes," speaks to Christiane Amanpour, about the normalization of ties between Israel, Bahrain and the UAE. Brendan Byrne, producer of the film, “Gaza,” weighs in from Belfast, Northern Ireland to explain the inspiration behind the film, and how the people of Gaza are crying out to be heard. Melinda Gates, Co-founder of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation discusses the 2020 Goalkeepers Report, and how the coronavirus p...Show moreandemic is causing major global development setbacks. Our Walter Isaacson talks to Eddie S. Glaude Jr., Professor of African American Studies at Princeton University, about his latest book and why he thinks America needs to confront the lies it tells itself about being “a redeemer nation.”
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 16, 2020
- Amanpour: Tammy Duckworth, Kent Nishimura, Jelani Cobb and Joan C. WilliamsDemocratic Senator Tammy Duckworth joins Christiane Amanpour to discuss the Republicans covid-19 response and what she says is a lack of leadership. She explains that majority leader Mitch McConnell hasn't shown up to a single negotiation on COVID relief. As the coronavirus pandemic continues we see the deadly effects of the climate crisis. Then Kent Nishimura, photojournalist at the Los Angeles Times, talks about coming face to face with California’s wildfires. And from one crisis to another, J...Show moreelani Cobb, correspondent for FRONTLINE's "Policing the Police 2020," discusses the fight for racial justice inside America’s police system. He reflects on Newark's police reforms and his updated documentary. Our Michel Martin speaks to Joan C. Williams, Director of the Center for WorkLife Law, about how the pandemic is impacting working mothers.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 15, 2020
- Amanpour: Gaisu Yari, Orzala Nemat, Timothy Snyder, Jeff Orlowski & Tristan HarrisIn an unexpected turn of events, talks between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the Taliban, and the Afghan government will soon take place. Commission of Afghanistan’s Civil Service Commission, Gaisu Yari, and Director of the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit, Orzala Nemat, join Christiane Amanpour to asses how women’s rights might be affected. Timothy Snyder, author of “Our Malady: Lessons in Liberty from a Hospital Diary,” discusses his near-death experience and America’s healthcar...Show moree system. Our Hari Sreenivasan talks to Director Jeff Orlowski and Tristan Harris, President & Co-founder of Center for Humane Technology, about their new Netflix docu-drama, “The Social Dilemma.”
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 13, 2020
- Amanpour: Jonathan Powell, Mark Landler, Jim Tankersley and Lang LangFormer UK Chief Negotiator for Northern Ireland, Jonathan Powell, and New York Times London Bureau Chief, Mark Landler, join Christiane Amanpour to unpack the parallels between UK PM Boris Johnson and U.S. President Donald Trump as the UK moves to break international law over Brexit. Then Jim Tankersley, author of "The Riches of This Land," debunks the myth of the middle class. He also explains to our Michel Martin why restricting immigration to boost wages is the wrong way to go. And finally, C...Show morehinese pianist Lang Lang gives a private concert from his home in Beijing where he has spent the duration of lockdown keeping up his musical fitness. He reflects on realizing his life-long dream of playing Bach’s Goldberg Variations.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 11, 2020
- Amanpour: Ali Soufan, Michael Sandel and Reed HastingsFormer special agent Ali Soufan joins Christiane Amanpour to talk about his now declassified book, "The Black Banners," and how the CIA redacted evidence that torture didn't work. Then renowned philosopher Michael Sandel makes the case against meritocracy, the topic of his new book, “The Tyranny of Merit." He also reflects on the roots of our populist moment. Our Walter Isaacson speaks to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings about the secret to his company’s success, which he says lies in their smash-the-c...Show moreonventions culture.
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.Sep 11, 2020