Egypt announced its first case of Wuhan coronavirus on Friday, according to a joint statement by Egypt’s Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The person who tested positive is a “foreigner,” the statement said.
Egypt’s Ministry of Health spokesperson, Dr. Khaled Mujahid, said Egypt discovered the case by testing passengers coming from countries where infections have emerged.
Mujahid added that WHO was immediately informed, and all preventive measures will be taken in cooperation with them.
The confirmed case marks the first in Africa since the virus was detected in December last year, in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
To date, a total of 605 cases have been confirmed outside of mainland China.