• Soldiers with the 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, the lead unit of the U.S. Army's 3rd Infantry Division, were rolling unopposed through the desert toward the Iraqi capital early Friday. 3D-models: M1A1 tank | Bradley Fighting Vehicle|
• Elements of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force also crossed into Iraq, using artillery to pound Iraqi positions across the border in southern Iraq early Friday. Full Story
• A combined British air and ground assault took control of Iraq's Faw Peninsula while U.S. Marines led an assault on the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr.
Gallery: Photos of the war | Video: Tanks roll across the desert
Audio Slide Show: Riding toward Baghdad
• A U.S. Marine CH-46 helicopter crashed early Friday in Kuwait, killing all 12 people aboard, the first coalition fatalities of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Pentagon officials said. The 12 aboard included four U.S. crewmembers and eight British Marines, officials added.|
• A British official told CNN Iraq launched as many as 10 missiles into Kuwait. Two were intercepted by Patriot missiles, U.S. military officials said.
• Iraqi officials on Iraqi television said 72 missiles hit Baghdad, killing "four Iraqi fighters" and an officer. U.S. officials said more than 60 cruise missiles have been fired at targets in and around Baghdad since Operation Iraqi Freedom began.
• Pentagon officials said they believe Saddam Hussein escaped air attacks so far, but some of his "senior leadership" might have been killed, perhaps as they slept.
• Coalition forces bombed the northern Iraqi city of Mosul early Friday.
• The "shock and awe" phase of the U.S.-led war against Iraq has been put on hold while the military assesses the state of the Iraqi leadership after initial air strikes, Pentagon officials said.
Full story | 3D Model: F-117 Stealth fighter
Audio Slide Show: The attack begins
|U.S. used cruise missiles, Stealth fighters in initial attack|
Tomahawk cruise missile | U.S. fighters
|ON THE SCENE|
|Arraf: 400,000 Kurds displaced|
Rodgers: 'The stomach of a dragon'
More On the Scene reports
A comparison of U.S. and Iraqi forces in the Gulf War and the current conflict.
|Explore U.S. war plans and tactics|
with CNN's military analysts
Retired general: Troops 'on a high'
|March 19: 'Decapitation attack'