colorado supreme court thumb vpx
CNN reporter shares timeline of Colorado Supreme Court break-in
01:31 - Source: CNN
CNN  — 

The man accused of firing gunshots inside the Colorado Supreme Court building appeared Wednesday in court, where a judge set his bond at $100,000, noting the defendant’s alleged “escalating behavior” during the incident.

The shooting happened Tuesday morning after 1 a.m. when a man who fled a two-car accident scene shot out a window of the Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center and went in, according to a news release from Denver.

Police say the man forcibly took keys from an unarmed security guard, fired shots in the building and set a fire in a stairwell.

The break-in comes after a recent state Supreme Court ruling against former President Donald Trump’s eligibility for office, but an investigation “confirmed a high probability” the incident is not connected to recent threats against justices.

Here’s what we know about the shooting:

A man has been arrested

Denver police are holding Brandon Olsen, 44, who surrendered at the scene almost two hours after the vehicle crash, authorities said. Prosecutors haven’t formally charged him, and he is being held on charges of first-degree arson, aggravated robbery and second-degree burglary, according to online jail records. All are felonies.

His first court hearing occurred Wednesday morning, when Magistrate Arnie Beckman noted Olsen did not have a significant prior criminal history. But he called the allegations against Olsen “extremely aggravating.”

If released, stipulations of the bond agreement include a requirement that Olsen be subject to GPS monitoring and adhere to a curfew between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. The judge also issued protection orders requiring Olsen have no contact with the security guard he allegedly confronted or the driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident that preceded the alleged break-in.

A court-appointed attorney representing Olsen did not object to the conditions. CNN has reached out to the Denver branch of the Colorado State Public Defender for comment.

Today, at approximately 1:15 a.m., Denver Police
officers were called to a crash involving two vehicles near East 13th Avenue and Lincoln
Street. It was reported that one individual involved reportedly grabbed a handgun and fled on
Soon after, that same individual shot out a window on the east side of the Ralph L. Carr
Colorado Judicial Center located at 2 East 14th Avenue. The individual entered the building
and came in contact with an unarmed security guard from the Colorado State Patrol Capitol
Security Unit.
The individual forcefully obtained keys from the security guard and proceeded into other parts
of the building. Denver Police officers, as well as members of the Colorado State Patrol,
responded to the scene and set up a perimeter. The suspect then made his way to the
seventh floor where he fired additional shots inside the building and at some point started a
fire in a stairwell, which was extinguished by Denver Fire. At approximately 3:00 a.m., the
suspect voluntarily surrendered to police and was placed in custody without further incident.
No injuries were reported as a result of this incident and DPD will work to determine the
extent of damage to the building.
The suspect, Brandon Olsen (DOB: 6/17/79) is being held for investigation of Robbery,
Burglary and Arson. Per standard protocol, the Denver District Attorneyís Office will make a
final determination on charges. The booking photo and arrest affidavit are attached.
DPD and the Colorado State Patrol are treating this incident seriously, but at this time, do not
believe this to be associated with previous threats to the Colorado Supreme Court Justices.

Olsen cooperated with interviews, according to a probable cause affidavit, but all of his statements in the court document are redacted. If he divulged a motive, authorities have not made it public.

The break-in comes two weeks after the court ruled 4-3 to remove Trump from the state’s 2024 ballot, finding he was ineligible to hold office under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

But authorities said Tuesday they don’t believe the decision and the break-in are related.

The building was almost empty

The downtown building – which houses the state’s Supreme Court, Colorado Court of Appeals and other judicial agencies – apparently had just two people in it when the man broke in during the overnight hours, authorities said.

The security guard was sitting alone at the information desk before investigating a noise, the affidavit says. The guard then was held at gunpoint by the suspect while trying to use a key to open a door for the pistol-wielding man, according to the court document.

The other person in the building who is mentioned in the affidavit is a woman who was working in an office. She told detectives she left when she heard the fire alarm and said she didn’t witness the shooting or fire.

Police said no one was injured during the ordeal, but “there is significant and extensive damage to the building.”

CNN’s Joe Sutton, Dakin Andone, Chris Boyette and Rachel Webb contributed to this report.