New York State is giving $2 million to a fund for the victims of last week’s Bronx fire that killed 17 people, New York Lt. Governor Brian Benjamin announced Sunday.
Benjamin made the announcement at a mass public funeral for the victims at the Islamic Cultural Center in the Bronx on Sunday morning.
“As the Lieutenant Governor of New York State, I stand here on behalf of Governor Kathy Hochul to say ‘we will be with you to be sure that this tragedy never happens again and we will make sure that all of the families – the 15 here, the two who are not here, and all of the families who were impacted by this fire – know that the state will stand up and support,’” Benjamin said.
The fund will “will provide tenants with case management services, personal property replacement, and relocation and rental assistance to help address critical household needs,” according to a press release from Governor Hochul’s office.
State officials will work with BronxWorks, a nonprofit organization contracted through the state’s Emergency Needs for the Homeless Program.
The organization will provide intake staff at a New York City service center and will also offer services such as burial assistance “and other support to help meet critical household needs such as loss of income due to the death of a household member,” the release states.
The state’s Office for New Americans is also currently working to connect impacted individuals with immigration legal assistance as needed, Hochul’s office said.