A Texas man found his mother’s vintage school cafeteria cookbook from the 1960s, and had the recipes reprinted. He’s now bringing back memories and delicious food to his community. Here’s what else you need to know to Start Your Week Smart.
The weekend that was
- The Omicron Covid-19 variant is raising concerns, but there’s no need to panic just yet, experts say.
- A Los Angeles woman invited an Afghan refugee family over for Thanksgiving. Here’s what happened.
- A 5-year-old child was fatally shot by a teenager making a video for social media, police say.
- Two storm systems could cause travel woes on one of the busiest holiday weekends.
- Thieves targeted a Home Depot in California in the latest in a series of smash-and-grab robberies.
• China’s Defense Minister today accused the US of being a “bully” and “hijacking” countries around the region during a combative speech in which he said his country would “fight to the very end” to stop Taiwanese independence.
The week ahead
The annual lighting ceremony of the National Menorah will be held on the Ellipse across the street from the White House. The event marks the first night of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. Second gentleman Doug Emhoff, who is Jewish, will participate in the ceremony.
For the second time this month, Atlanta voters will head to the polls to elect the city’s next mayor. The runoff election is between city council Felicia Moore and Andre Dickens, an at-large councilman. Both advanced to the runoff after the candidates failed to gain the 50% plus one vote needed for a win.
Want more 5 Things? This week on the Sunday edition of the 5 Things podcast, we talk with Senior International Correspondent Matthew Chance, who got exclusive access to the Belarus-Poland border to witness a migrant crisis that Belarus is accused of manufacturing. Listen here.
Photos of the week
What’s happening in entertainment
Speaking of music, Adele’s new album “30” has finally dropped – and it’s clear she’s evolved. She’s also experienced all sorts of love: new love, self love and lost love. Her special, “An Audience With Adele,” will air exclusively on ITV and its on-demand service, ITV Hub, today at 7:25 p.m. GMT, 2:25 p.m. ET.
Their careers span decades and genres
Take CNN’s weekly news quiz to see how much you remember from the week that was! So far, 29% of readers who took Friday’s news quiz got eight or more questions right. How well can you do? If you can’t see the quiz, click here.
Play me off
Turkey gone wrong
That weekend feeling