Suwon, South Korea (CNN)A South Korean man admitted in court Monday that he murdered 14 women and girls three decades ago in one of the country's most notorious serial killing cases -- and said he was surprised he wasn't caught earlier.
Man who confessed to being one of South Korea's most-notorious serial killers says he's surprised he wasn't caught sooner
Lee Chun-jae confessed to the killings in front of Yoon, the only person ever convicted of any of the murders.
"I didn't think the crimes would be buried forever," 57-year-old Lee told a court in the South Korean city Suwon. He confessed to the murders last year to the police, but this is the first time he has publicly discussed the killings.
Yoon -- whose full name is not being published due to a South Korean law that protects the privacy of suspects and criminals -- was released in 2008, after spending 20 years in prison for the 1988 rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl.
That murder is one of 10 killings that took place between 1986 and 1991, which are known as the Hwaseong murders after the area in which they took place.