Protesters demand DC police release video in the death of 20-year-old man riding a moped

Demonstrators confront police on Tuesday during a protest in Washington, DC, over the recent death of 20-year-old Karon Hylton.

(CNN)Protests at a Washington, DC, police station over the death of a 20-year-old man left four officers injured, police tell CNN affiliate WJLA.

Demonstrators gathered late Tuesday at the Fourth District Police Station to demand the release of camera footage related to the death of Karon Hylton, who was killed last Friday in a moped accident. One person was arrested in the protests, police said.
Police told WJLA that windows at the station were smashed during the protest and that projectiles, including rocks and bricks, were thrown at officers. The officers' injuries were not life-threatening, police added.
      Hylton was driving a Revel scooter on the sidewalk without a helmet on Friday, prompting police officers to turn on their emergency lights and attempt to make a traffic stop, according to a news release from the Metropolitan Police Department. As Hylton exited an alley, his moped crashed into another vehicle, the department said.
        He was later pronounced dead at a local hospital, the department said. Police say the incident is under further investigation.
          CNN has reached out to the Metropolitan Police Department and Revel for more information.
          The moped sharing company Revel cautions on its website that "riding on sidewalks and bike lanes is strictly forbidden."
          "Revel is made to travel with traffic, so you must stay on the road!" the website states.
          Revel mopeds have surged in popularity during the pandemic, as people seek alternatives to public transportation. In addition to Washington, DC, the electric moped service operates in Austin, Miami, New York, Oakland and San Francisco.
            But the mopeds have also faced criticism over safety concerns.
            In July, Revel temporarily suspended its service in New York after two people died on the scooters in 11 days. The company resumed its service in the city in late August after announcing new rules and restrictions, including requiring that riders provide photographic proof that they are wearing helmets.