CNN  — 

Protests over the death of George Floyd raged from coast to coast – with crowds breaking curfew in major cities on another night of fury and frustrations.

Fires burned and and tear gas canisters flew in Minneapolis as people threw objects at officers. In Seattle, smoke filled the air as police in riot gear lined up outside stores. And in Philadelphia, firefighters doused blazes and officers chased a group of protesters down the streets for violating curfew. The words “I can’t breathe” were scrawled on a building not far from where smoke billowed.

Looters ransacked stores on the famous Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, leaving shelves bare and setting some buildings ablaze.

The National Guard dispatched to Washington, DC, to assist police handling protests around the White House, authorities said.

At least 25 cities have imposed curfews and numerous states activated National Guard forces in anticipation of another night of protests, sparked in part by the death of Floyd – who was unarmed and handcuffed – while in Minneapolis police custody.

The former officer seen in a video kneeling on Floyd’s neck was arrested and charged. Protesters are demanding the arrest of three other officers at the scene.

Live updates: Protests spread nationwide

Latest developments

City curfews: A curfew is underway in cities like Atlanta, Philadelphia and Milwaukee until Sunday morning. Mayors in cities like Denver, Cincinnati, Louisville and Salt Lake City imposed evening curfews that will expire Monday morning.

Officer injured: A Philadelphia bike officer trying to stop people involved in looting was run over by the suspects while escaping. The officer is in the hospital with a broken arm and other injuries. At least 12 other officers were injured.

National Guard: Several states and the District of Columbia have either activated or requested assistance from the National Guard, including Minnesota, Georgia, Ohio, Colorado and Kentucky.

21-year-old shot: A young man was killed Friday night in downtown Detroit where protests were taking place. Police had previously said the victim was 19 and that they could not confirm whether the victim was part of the protests.