Mentally ill woman dies in custody, lawsuit alleges deprivation of medical care

Damaris Rodriguez is seen walking in a circle inside her cell, in a video provided to CNN by her family's law firm, Krutch Lindell Bingham Jones.

(CNN)A lawsuit filed by the family of a Washington woman who died while in jail in 2018 alleges inhumane confinement and deprivation of adequate medical care where she was held.

The death of Damaris Rodriguez, who was suffering from symptoms of psychosis, followed four days of "inexcusable neglect and appalling conditions at the South Correctional Entity Jail," the lawsuit says.
CNN affiliate KIRO first reported her death this week.
On December 30, 2017, Rodriguez suffered from a mental health episode while at her home in the Washington city of SeaTac, a suburb of Seattle, according to the lawsuit. Rodriguez's husband, Reynaldo, called 911 and requested medical assistance.
    Damaris Rodriguez had previously suffered from bipolar disorder, and had recently developed a metabolic disorder that caused "psychosis symptoms," the lawsuit says.
    However, according to the family's attorney, Nathan Bingham, law enforcement arrived before an ambulance and Rodriguez was arrested on suspicion of fourth degree assault against her husband. While officers were at the home responding to the call, her husband, however, insisted Rodriguez's actions had not been intentional and that she was having a mental health crisis, repeatedly telling police that he did not want her to be arrested.
    According to the lawsuit, Reynaldo "has trouble communicating about complex topics in English."
    The King County Sheriff's Office had determined the incoming call to be a domestic violence call and, according to Ryan Abbott with the King County Sheriff's Office, with all domestic violence calls, Washington state law requires law enforcement to make an arrest if responding officers determine there is any kind of complaint of pain, or that an assault has occurred.
    King County Sheriff's deputies arrested Rodriguez and took her to the South Correctional Entity Jail (SCORE).

    'Starvation and sleep deprivation eventually took their toll'

    Rodriguez spent four days alone in a cell, where video surveillance footage shows she was largely naked, surrounded by her own urine and vomit, and having what appear to be hallucinations, according to the lawsuit.
    Attorney Nathan Bingham said though Washington court rules dictate that an arraignment take place before the end of the next business day, Rodriguez was never taken to court.
    The lawsuit alleges that "starvation and sleep deprivation eventually took their toll," and Rodriguez developed a metabolic condition called ketoacidosis, which leads to water intoxication.
    According to the complaint, corrections officers and medical staff knew of the danger of water intoxication, but did not conduct proper welfare checks, instead moving Rodriguez to a cell without a sink, where she later died on January 4, 2018.
    The lawsuit alleges that Rodriguez died as a result of water intoxication. The King County Medical Examiner's Officer determined her death to be a sudden death during excited delirium and has classified it as natural.