Multiple law enforcement agencies in Idaho are looking for two missing endangered siblings after their mother married a man linked to the suspicious death of his previous wife, according to a press release from the Rexburg Police Department.
The Rexburg Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff's Office, and the FBI are investigating the disappearance of Joshua Vallow, 7, and his sister Tylee Ryan, 17, who haven't been seen since September, the release said.
Search continues for missing Idaho siblings
02:11 - Source: KSTU
CNN  — 

Investigators searching for two missing Idaho siblings seized computers and cell phones from a home owned by the children’s stepfather, the lead investigator told CNN.

Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries told CNN the items taken from the home of Chad Daybell during the execution of a search warrant on Friday also included personal journals, medication and what Humphries described as “forensic evidence.” The items are being examined by experts.

The sheriff says it’s too soon to tell whether the evidence will lead the investigation in any new directions.

“A lot of work now has to be done,” he said.

Law enforcement officers have been searching for Joshua “JJ” Vallow, 7, and Tylee Ryan, 17, since November, after learning that they had not been seen or heard from since September.

Daybell is married to the children’s mother, Lori Vallow. While neither Daybell nor Vallow has been charged in the children’s disappearance, they have not cooperated with the investigation, Rexburg Police said.

Sean Bartholick, an attorney for the couple, released a statement to East Idaho News on December 23 saying that although he is in contact with Vallow and Daybell, he does not have information about the children. CNN has made multiple attempts to reach Bartholick but has not received a response.

The father of one child requested sole custody

Police conducted a welfare check for Joshua – Vallow’s adopted son with her previous husband – on November 26 after relatives raised concern about not hearing from him. During the welfare check, both Daybell and Vallow told investigators that the boy was staying with a family friend in Arizona. When police returned the next day to execute a search warrant, Daybell and Vallow had fled the home, according to authorities.

Investigators later determined that they did not take Joshua with them when they fled and that he was not staying at the friend’s house.

Divorce documents shed some light on the months before the children went missing.

According to a petition for dissolution of marriage filed in February, Charles Vallow, had requested sole custody of the child and expressed concern about Lori Vallow’s mental state.

“Father states that mother’s recent decision-making has caused emotional harm to JJ who has special needs and is unable to understand the circumstances or situation happening,” the petition reads.

Authorities believe that Lori Vallow and her husband Chad Daybell have information about the whereabouts of her children.

“Mother has recently become infatuated and at times obsessive about near death experiences and spiritual visions. Mother has told Father that she is sealed (eternally married) to the ancient Book of Mormon prophet Moroni and that she lived numerous lives on numerous planet prior to this current life,” the document says.

Charles Vallow had sought an order of protection against Lori Vallow, the petition said.

In a statement to CNN, Steven M. Ellsworth and F. Taylor Larson, attorneys who handled the divorce case, told CNN that Charles Vallow had a protective order against Lori Vallow because he had a “genuine fear for his life … due to Lori’s mental state and her delusions.”

Chad Daybell had connections to a website called “Preparing a People,” a religious content provider that describes itself as “as series of lecture events focusing on self-reliance and personal preparation,” featuring several Latter-Day Saints speakers.

Vallow and Daybell wed weeks after Daybell’s wife Tammy was found dead in her Fremont County home on October 19. Tammy Daybell’s death was initially attributed to natural causes, but authorities exhumed her remains on December 11 and now think her death was suspicious.