A man had seizures after eating hot pot. Turns out he had tapeworms in his brain

The tapeworms entered the man's brain after he ate undercooked meat.

(CNN)A 46-year-old construction worker in China suffering from seizures turned out to have tapeworms in his brain -- suspected to be the result of eating undercooked meat.

About a month ago, Zhu (a pseudonym for the patient), from Quzhou, in eastern Zhejiang province, bought pork and mutton to cook in a spicy hot pot broth, according to a report published last week by the First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University.
A few days later, he began to feel dizzy, and suffered headaches during the day, the report said. During the night, while he was sleeping, Zhu would experience seizure-like symptoms, similar to epilepsy.
Zhu's coworkers found him during such a seizure, and quickly sent him to a nearby hospital, where a CT scan showed "intercranial calcifications" and lesions in his skull. However, Zhu declined any further examinations, not wanting to spend more money, and returned home, according to the report.
    However, the symptoms did not go away and Zhu continued experiencing seizures. Finally, he went to the Zhejiang University hospital, where doctors performed an MRI scan and diagnosed him with neurocysticercosis -- tapeworms on the brain.
    After hearing that Zhu had eaten hot pot recently, the hospital's chief physician speculated that the pork and mutton may have been infested with tapeworm larvae -- which could then have entered Zhu's digestive tract because the meat had not been cooked properly.
    "I only simmered the meat a little," Zhu said in the report. "