Students are escorted out of Saugus High School after reports of a shooting on Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019, in Santa Clarita, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
PHOTO: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP
Students are escorted out of Saugus High School after reports of a shooting on Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019, in Santa Clarita, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
Now playing
01:28
California students describe deadly school shooting
PHOTO: KTLA
Now playing
01:28
Student describes escaping school: I never looked back
PHOTO: AFP/Getty Images
Now playing
01:54
Hear Bill Clinton's message to Trump after school shooting
PHOTO: Senate TV
Now playing
01:13
He was speaking about gun violence. Then this happened
PHOTO: KTLA
Now playing
01:18
Sheriff: School shooting suspect in custody at hospital
A target sheet hangs at a shooting range July 22 in Aurora, Colorado.
PHOTO: Getty Images
A target sheet hangs at a shooting range July 22 in Aurora, Colorado.
Now playing
02:20
How police train for active shooter response
Crime scene tape surrounds the Mandalay Hotel (background) after a gunman killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 200 others when he opened fire on a country music concert in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 2, 2017. 
Police said the gunman, a 64-year-old local resident named as Stephen Paddock, had been killed after a SWAT team responded to reports of multiple gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay, a hotel-casino next to the concert venue. / AFP PHOTO / Mark RALSTON        (Photo credit should read MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images)
PHOTO: MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images
Crime scene tape surrounds the Mandalay Hotel (background) after a gunman killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 200 others when he opened fire on a country music concert in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 2, 2017. Police said the gunman, a 64-year-old local resident named as Stephen Paddock, had been killed after a SWAT team responded to reports of multiple gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay, a hotel-casino next to the concert venue. / AFP PHOTO / Mark RALSTON (Photo credit should read MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:25
These are the deadliest mass shootings in modern US history
TINLEY PARK, IL - OCTOBER 18:  Pistols are offered for sale at Freddie Bear Sports on October 18, 2012 in Tinley Park, Illinois.  Facing a $267.5 million fiscal 2013 budget gap, Cook County, which includes the City of Chicago and suburbs, has proposed a tax of 5 cents per bullet and $25 on each firearm sold at gun and sporting goods stores in the county. Fred Lutger, who has owned Freddie Bear Sports for 35 years, is concerned with the impact the tax will have on his store which is located about 2 miles inside the Cook County line.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
PHOTO: Scott Olson/Getty Images North America/Getty Images
TINLEY PARK, IL - OCTOBER 18: Pistols are offered for sale at Freddie Bear Sports on October 18, 2012 in Tinley Park, Illinois. Facing a $267.5 million fiscal 2013 budget gap, Cook County, which includes the City of Chicago and suburbs, has proposed a tax of 5 cents per bullet and $25 on each firearm sold at gun and sporting goods stores in the county. Fred Lutger, who has owned Freddie Bear Sports for 35 years, is concerned with the impact the tax will have on his store which is located about 2 miles inside the Cook County line. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Now playing
00:47
By the numbers: Gun deaths in America
(CNN) —  

A teen whose birthday was Thursday went to his Southern California high school, pulled a pistol from his backpack and shot five classmates and himself in 16 seconds, authorities said.

Two victims – a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy – died at a hospital. Three students were wounded and taken by ambulance from Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, officials said.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the 16-year-old suspected gunman is in critical condition. He used the last bullet from a .45-caliber pistol on himself, authorities said.

The sheriff told “Anderson Cooper 360˚” the student fired one time, then apparently had a problem with the gun before firing again.

The suspect’s name is Nathaniel Berhow, two law enforcement sources told CNN.

Authorities said they are looking into biographical information on the suspected shooter’s social media account that was taken down after the mass shooting.

“With a heavy heart, we’re going to move on with the investigation and figure out what went wrong,” the sheriff said. “I hate to have Saugus be added to the names of Columbine, Parkland, Sandy Hook, but it’s a reality that affects us all throughout the nation – something that we’re going to have to figure out.”

The shooting began before classes started, officials said, sending some students streaming out of the building as others hid. One student was hurt in the chaos and needed medical attention.

Video obtained at the scene clearly shows the suspect shooting his classmates and then himself, Capt. Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department told reporters.

Authorities are working to obtain any other video from campus and cell phone video from students.

Emergency workers took several people out of the school on gurneys, and large groups of people walked out single-file with armed escorts, aerial footage from CNN affiliates shows.

The two students who were killed died at the hospital.

Officials shepherded students to nearby Central Park, where parents were told to meet them.

The shooting happened about 20 minutes before the start of school, according to Hannah de Caussin, whose daughter attends Saugus.

D.J. Hamburger, a teacher at Saugus High School, comforts a student after the shooting.
PHOTO: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP
D.J. Hamburger, a teacher at Saugus High School, comforts a student after the shooting.

Some students fled, and others hid

Some students fled the building immediately, and others took cover inside rooms, another student told CNN affiliate KTLA.

“It was one and then four quick ones, so bang, and then bang, bang, bang, bang,” the girl said after leaving the building.

People walk away from the school after the shooting Thursday morning.
PHOTO: KCBS/KCAL
People walk away from the school after the shooting Thursday morning.

Students are trained to take cover in classrooms, but she and some others ran out because they thought the shooter was near where they would have hidden, she said.

“We ran through the fence, luckily it was open, and we got as far away from campus as we could,” she said.

“We were texting all our friends and making sure they were safe. They said they were hiding and they were scared. It scared us because they’re our friends and we didn’t want anything bad to happen to them.”

Another student, Brooklyn Moreno, told CNN affiliate KCBS that she was waiting for a bell to ring to signal her first class when she heard the first shot.

“Everyone thought it was a balloon, and it got really quiet. And then two more shots, and then everyone just ran out of the school,” said Brooklyn, who added that she ran across a street to someone’s house until someone came to pick her up.

Grandfather: Students ran down my street screaming

Larry Everhart, a grandfather of a Saugus High student, told KCBS that he was leaving his house to get coffee when he saw students running down his street screaming.

“They were saying, ‘Can I come in your house?’ It was about 20 of them. I wanted to make sure they were safe, so I got them in there,” he said.

School officials are sending students to Central Park, where parents should meet them, the district said.

Everhart’s neighbor, a police officer, eventually told him he could go to the park, where he found his granddaughter safe.

“My granddaughter threw her arms around me and was hugging me, and I was just so happy she was still alive,” he said.

Students are escorted out of Saugus High School after the shooting Thursday.
PHOTO: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP
Students are escorted out of Saugus High School after the shooting Thursday.

White House sends condolences

Vice President Mike Pence gave his condolences to families of the victims.

Speaking to a group at NASA in Northern California, Pence called it “another heartbreaking day for students and parents.” Pence pledged that the President Donald Trump will work to end gun violence.

“This administration will remain resolved to bring the scourge of mass shootings to an end, and we will not rest until we end this evil in our time and make our schools and our communities safe again,” he added.

Pence said the President has directed federal law enforcement agencies to support local investigators.

Rumors of online threats are being investigated

Investigators will check rumors that the suspect may have posted threats on social media, county Undersheriff Tim Murakami said on Twitter.

“If you ever learn of posted threats please notify us ASAP,” Murakami wrote.

All schools in Santa Clarita’s William S. Hart school district were temporarily locked down as a precaution, but the restrictions were later lifted, the district said.

Saugus High School, about 30 miles northwest of Los Angeles, has about 2,400 students, according to the district.

CORRECTION: A reference to an Instagram account that police tied to the alleged gunman has been removed from this article after Facebook and Instagram reported the account did not belong to the suspect.

CNN’s Cheri Mossburg reported in Los Angeles and Jason Hanna and Steve Almasy wrote in Atlanta. Hollie Silverman, Josh Campbell, Whitney Wild, Maegan Vazquez, Sarah Aarthun, Tina Burnside, Brian Ries, Chuck Johnston, Konstantin Toropin and Scottie Andrew contributed to this report.