CNN
Now playing
02:35
Huawei says ban won't make America safe
AirTag
Apple
AirTag
Now playing
01:17
See AirTag, Apple's new device for tracking your lost stuff
John Oliver addressed the recent fatal police shootings of Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo in a passionate monologue on "Last Week Tonight."
Last Week Tonight/HBO
John Oliver addressed the recent fatal police shootings of Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo in a passionate monologue on "Last Week Tonight."
Now playing
01:38
John Oliver to White Americans: 'March in the streets'
WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 12: U.S. President Donald Trump departs on the South Lawn of the White House, on December 12, 2020 in Washington, DC. Trump is traveling to the Army versus Navy Football Game at the United States Military Academy in West Point, NY. (Photo by Al Drago/Getty Images)
Al Drago/Getty Images
WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 12: U.S. President Donald Trump departs on the South Lawn of the White House, on December 12, 2020 in Washington, DC. Trump is traveling to the Army versus Navy Football Game at the United States Military Academy in West Point, NY. (Photo by Al Drago/Getty Images)
Now playing
02:18
Trump said electing Biden would crash the markets. It didn't
Scene video following a crash involving a Tesla Saturday night in Spring, TX
Scott Engle
Scene video following a crash involving a Tesla Saturday night in Spring, TX
Now playing
01:09
Fatal Tesla crash had no one in the driver's seat, police say
CNN
Now playing
03:22
Bank of America CEO reveals his top worry about the economy
US Navy
Now playing
01:28
Pentagon confirms UFO video is real, taken by Navy pilot
marte fotos volcan olympus mons sistema solar hope ultravioleta perspectivas mexico_00000411.png
marte fotos volcan olympus mons sistema solar hope ultravioleta perspectivas mexico_00000411.png
Now playing
04:12
Why we are going to Mars
Twitter | @brady9dream
Now playing
02:10
Pet owners pitch their pups to be dog brew's 'Chief Tasting Officer'
Now playing
01:32
Scientists turned spiderwebs into music and it sounds like a nightmare
LONDON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 07:  A visual representation of the digital Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin on December 07, 2017 in London, England. Cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Lightcoin have seen unprecedented growth in 2017, despite remaining extremely volatile. While digital currencies across the board have divided opinion between financial institutions, and now have a market cap of around 175 Billion USD, the crypto sector coninues to grow, as it continues to see wider mainstreem adoption. The price of one Bitcoin passed 15,000 USD across many exchanges today taking it higher than previous all time highs.  (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
LONDON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 07: A visual representation of the digital Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin on December 07, 2017 in London, England. Cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Lightcoin have seen unprecedented growth in 2017, despite remaining extremely volatile. While digital currencies across the board have divided opinion between financial institutions, and now have a market cap of around 175 Billion USD, the crypto sector coninues to grow, as it continues to see wider mainstreem adoption. The price of one Bitcoin passed 15,000 USD across many exchanges today taking it higher than previous all time highs. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
Now playing
03:10
Bitcoin has an energy problem
Accused $50 billion Ponzi scheme swindler Bernard Madoff exits federal court March 10, 2009 in New York City. Madoff was attending a hearing on his legal representation and is due back in court Thursday.  (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Mario Tama/Getty Images
Accused $50 billion Ponzi scheme swindler Bernard Madoff exits federal court March 10, 2009 in New York City. Madoff was attending a hearing on his legal representation and is due back in court Thursday. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Now playing
03:11
Bernie Madoff, infamous Ponzi schemer, dead at 82
Now playing
05:18
Coinbase CFO: We're an on-ramp to the crypto economy
A man checks vine buds during the burning of anti-frost candles in the Luneau-Papin wine vineyard in Le Landreau, near Nantes, western France, on April 12, 2021, as temperatures fall below zero degrees celsius.
Sebastien Salom-Gomis/AFP/Getty Images
A man checks vine buds during the burning of anti-frost candles in the Luneau-Papin wine vineyard in Le Landreau, near Nantes, western France, on April 12, 2021, as temperatures fall below zero degrees celsius.
Now playing
01:37
See how French winemakers are trying to save their crops from frost
SUEZ, EGYPT - MARCH 29: The container ship 'Ever Given' is refloated, unblocking the Suez Canal on March 29, 2021 in Suez, Egypt. This morning the container ship came partly unstuck from the shoreline, where it ran aground in the canal last Tuesday, and later resumed its course shortly after 3pm local time. The Suez Canal is one of the world's busiest shipping lanes and the blockage had created a backlog of vessels at either end, raising concerns over the impact on global shipping and supply chains. (Photo by Mahmoud Khaled/Getty Images)
Mahmoud Khaled/Getty Images
SUEZ, EGYPT - MARCH 29: The container ship 'Ever Given' is refloated, unblocking the Suez Canal on March 29, 2021 in Suez, Egypt. This morning the container ship came partly unstuck from the shoreline, where it ran aground in the canal last Tuesday, and later resumed its course shortly after 3pm local time. The Suez Canal is one of the world's busiest shipping lanes and the blockage had created a backlog of vessels at either end, raising concerns over the impact on global shipping and supply chains. (Photo by Mahmoud Khaled/Getty Images)
Now playing
00:57
Egypt seizes Ever Given ship, asks for $900M in compensation
Barbers from King's Cutz give haircuts indoors while observing COVID-19 safety restrictions on March 13, 2021 in Los Angeles, California.
Mario Tama/Getty Images
Barbers from King's Cutz give haircuts indoors while observing COVID-19 safety restrictions on March 13, 2021 in Los Angeles, California.
Now playing
01:43
US consumer prices increased in March
(CNN Business) —  

A bipartisan group of House lawmakers is proposing to give small and rural wireless network operators $1 billion to tear out telecom gear produced by Huawei, ZTE and other Chinese providers that US officials consider a national security risk.

Draft legislation released by the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Tuesday would allocate the money to operators with fewer than 2 million subscribers, targeting the dozens of smaller telecom companies nationwide that have integrated the Chinese-made equipment into their mobile networks.

The bill shows how federal policymakers are still grappling with a major challenge: How to effectively ban Chinese telecommunications companies from the US market without harming the small businesses who depend on that gear for its reliability and affordability.

US officials have long believed Huawei equipment could be used by China to spy on sensitive Western communications, a claim Huawei strongly denies.

“Our telecommunications companies rely heavily on equipment manufactured and provided by foreign companies that, in some cases, as with companies such as Huawei and its affiliates, can pose a significant threat to America’s commercial and security interests,” said Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Frank Pallone, along with Reps. Greg Walden, Doris Matsui and Brett Guthrie, in a statement.

“This bipartisan legislation will protect our nation’s communications networks from foreign adversaries by helping small and rural wireless providers root out suspect network equipment and replace it with more secure equipment,” they said.

Huawei is the world’s largest telecom equipment company, but only about 40 small, rural US network operators currently use its equipment.

Last fall, Congress barred US government agencies from using Huawei and ZTE gear in a defense authorization bill. Huawei sued the United States over that provision, claiming it is unconstitutional. Then in May, President Donald Trump signed an executive order saying US firms could not use telecom gear from sources the administration deems to be a national security threat, such as Huawei.

The Trump administration said it would offer more information on the executive order in 150 days. But rural wireless network operators say they still haven’t gotten any, leaving them struggling to understand exactly what equipment must be removed, when and how.

“It’s confusing. We still don’t have any answers to the questions we have been asking,” said Craig Gates, CEO of Triangle Communications, a network operator in Central Montana. “What equipment is the problem? Are we going to get any financial assistance? What’s the deadline for us to remove any equipment?”

Triangle Communications bought equipment from Huawei, rather from competitors Nokia or Ericsson, because it is significantly cheaper and the Chinese company’s product “quite frankly is superior or at least as good as theirs,” Gates said. He estimates removing it from his network would cost millions, even though the products make up only a small part of the infrastructure.

And without more information from the US government, Gates said it’s hard for his company to take any action. He doesn’t want to start replacing some equipment only to find out that product wasn’t the problem.

Geoffrey Starks, a commissioner at the Federal Communications Commission, said whatever remediation the US government requires of small American wireless providers, the government should be prepared to defray the costs.

“I’ve probably spoken with over 20 small, rural carriers that do have Huawei or ZTE in their infrastructure,” said Starks in an interview. “If this [bill] appropriates $1 billion to fund a rip-and-replace program, I certainly think that that is a good advancement.”

But, he added: “Network security is national security, and figuring out the right number is something we’re all going to need to work through.”

If the proposed House bill passes, network operators would have to go through an application process that includes estimating the cost of removing the equipment. Once approved for the reimbursement, operators would have one year to remove and replace the gear.

A similar bill in the Senate has proposed allocating $700 million to small carriers. Spokespeople for the Senate Commerce Committee didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

US officials have traveled the world trying to persuade allies not to use Huawei products because of its security concerns. That campaign has received a mixed reception, as some countries have welcomed Huawei as a supplier.

Huawei strongly rejects claims that it poses a threat, arguing that it does not have a relationship with the Chinese government and that any perceived danger to national security can be mitigated by using testing procedures.

The company also says that because equipment sales to American operators make up just a tiny fraction of its business, being pushed out of the United States altogether would not have a material impact on its business. That’s in stark contrast to the White House action barring US firms from selling to Huawei, a move that threatens Huawei’s smartphone business by removing access to Google services.

Huawei did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story.