Now playing
01:09
Deadly fire sinks dive boat off California coast
In this Dec. 1, 2020 file photo, Chairman of the Federal Reserve Jerome Powell appears before the Senate Banking Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington.  Powell told Congress on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021,  that the central bank will not begin raising interest rates until the Fed believes it has reached its goals on maximum employment  and warned that many people in the hardest hit industries will likely need to find different jobs.  (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, Pool, File)
PHOTO: Susan Walsh/AP
In this Dec. 1, 2020 file photo, Chairman of the Federal Reserve Jerome Powell appears before the Senate Banking Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington. Powell told Congress on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021, that the central bank will not begin raising interest rates until the Fed believes it has reached its goals on maximum employment and warned that many people in the hardest hit industries will likely need to find different jobs. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, Pool, File)
Now playing
02:18
Jerome Powell: US economy 'some time' away from full recovery
psaki
PHOTO: CNN
psaki
Now playing
00:56
Psaki fires back at Trump testing czar over vaccine claims
PHOTO: CBS' 60 Minutes+/Getty Images
Now playing
01:45
'QAnon Shaman' says he has one regret about January 6
Now playing
02:30
Alabama governor explains why she's ending mask mandate
PHOTO: CNN
Now playing
01:35
See what security looks like outside US Capitol
PHOTO: Getty Images/CNN
Now playing
02:18
Bash: This is why key GOP senator is fighting Biden's stimulus
PHOTO: YouTube/Everyday Astronaut
Now playing
01:19
Watch SpaceX Mars prototype rocket nail landing, explode on pad
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 16:  Physician to U.S. President Donald Trump Dr. Ronny Jackson listens during the daily White House press briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House January 16, 2018 in Washington, DC. Dr. Jackson discussed the details of President TrumpÕs physical check-up from last week.  (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
PHOTO: Alex Wong/Getty Images
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 16: Physician to U.S. President Donald Trump Dr. Ronny Jackson listens during the daily White House press briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House January 16, 2018 in Washington, DC. Dr. Jackson discussed the details of President TrumpÕs physical check-up from last week. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Now playing
03:14
DOD releases scathing review of former White House physician
PHOTO: CNN/Getty
Now playing
02:10
'Highly misleading at best': Dale reacts to Pence's op-ed
PHOTO: Gov. Cuomo's office
Now playing
03:35
Gov. Andrew Cuomo addresses women's allegations
Commanding General District of Columbia National Guard Major General William J. Walker testifies before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs/Rules and Administration hearing to examine the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol on Capitol Hill on March 3, 2021 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Greg Nash / POOL / AFP) (Photo by GREG NASH/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
PHOTO: GREG NASH/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
Commanding General District of Columbia National Guard Major General William J. Walker testifies before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs/Rules and Administration hearing to examine the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol on Capitol Hill on March 3, 2021 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Greg Nash / POOL / AFP) (Photo by GREG NASH/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
Now playing
03:01
DC National Guard commander: 'Unusual' Pentagon restrictions slowed response to Capitol riot
Supporters of President Donald Trump hold up their phones with messages referring to the QAnon conspiracy theory at a campaign rally at Las Vegas Convention Center on February 21, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
PHOTO: Mario Tama/Getty Images
Supporters of President Donald Trump hold up their phones with messages referring to the QAnon conspiracy theory at a campaign rally at Las Vegas Convention Center on February 21, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Now playing
03:00
Hear why QAnon supporters believe Trump will be president on March 4th
FBI Director Christopher Wray testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the January 6th insurrection, in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on March 2, 2021. (Photo by MANDEL NGAN / POOL / AFP) (Photo by MANDEL NGAN/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
PHOTO: MANDEL NGAN/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
FBI Director Christopher Wray testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the January 6th insurrection, in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on March 2, 2021. (Photo by MANDEL NGAN / POOL / AFP) (Photo by MANDEL NGAN/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
Now playing
02:55
Watch FBI director debunk conspiracy theories pushed by Trump supporters
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 10: Neera Tanden, nominee for Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), testifies at her confirmation hearing before the Senate Budget Committee on February 10, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC. Tanden helped found the Center for American Progress, a policy research and advocacy organization and has held senior advisory positions in Democratic politics since the Clinton administration. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images)
PHOTO: Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 10: Neera Tanden, nominee for Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), testifies at her confirmation hearing before the Senate Budget Committee on February 10, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC. Tanden helped found the Center for American Progress, a policy research and advocacy organization and has held senior advisory positions in Democratic politics since the Clinton administration. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:33
Neera Tanden releases statement on pulling her nomination
PHOTO: KCAL/KCBS
Now playing
01:41
Multiple people killed in crash after SUV and semitruck collide
nigeria kidnapped schoolgirls released Busari pkg intl ldn vpx_00000423.png
nigeria kidnapped schoolgirls released Busari pkg intl ldn vpx_00000423.png
Now playing
02:09
Tears of joy and relief as 279 Nigerian schoolgirls return home
(CNN) —  

The people who perished on a dive boat that was consumed in flames off the California coast on Labor Day likely died from smoke inhalation, not burns, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Friday.

Of the 39 people aboard the 75-foot dive boat Conception, only five crew members, including the captain, were found alive.

Preliminary indications are that “the cause of death was smoke inhalation” and “that the victims died prior to being burned,” Brown told reporters. DNA samples from relatives were needed for identification because of the extent of the burns.

There are no plans for autopsies because of the belief that smoke inhalation killed the victims, Brown said. The final determination will be made by a medical examiner.

The victims, who were in the lower sleeping deck, likely got trapped when the blaze blocked their escape routes, according to authorities. The crew was on the upper wheelhouse deck.

Authorities have notified the next of kin of all those who died.

The names of 22 victims were released Friday:

– Carol Diana Adamic, 60, of Santa Cruz, California

– Neal Gustav Baltz, 42, of Phoenix, Arizona

– Patricia Ann Beitzinger, 48, of Chandler, Arizona

– Vaidehi Campbell, 41, of Felton, California

– Kendra Chan, 26, of Oxnard, California

– Raymond “Scott” Chan, 59, of Los Altos, California

– Justin Carroll Dignam, 58, of Anaheim, California

– Andrew Fritz, 40, of Sacramento, California

– Daniel Garcia, 46, of Berkeley, California

– Marybeth Guiney, 51, of Santa Monica, California

– Yulia Krashennaya, 40, of Berkeley, California

– Alexandra Kurtz, 26, of Santa Barbara, California

– Charles McIlvain, 44, of Santa Monica, California

– Caroline McLaughlin, 45, of Oakland, California

– Angela Rose Quitasol, 28, of Stockton, California

– Evan Michel Quitasol, 37, of Stockton, California

– Michael Quitasol, 62, of Stockton, California

– Nicole Storm Quitasol, 31, of Imperial Beach, California

– Steven Salika, 55, of Santa Cruz, California

– Tia Salika-Adamic, 17, of Santa Cruz, California

– Ted Strom, 62, Germantown, Tennessee

– Wei Tan, 26, of Goleta, California

Brown said authorities had to contact family members of the victims as far away as India, Singapore, and Japan.

Efforts to raise the wreckage began Friday

The Conception’s certificate of inspection required a roving watchman, US Coast Guard Capt. Monica Rochester said at a news conference.

“The role of that person is to rove and check on the safety of the area they have been placed in charge of,” she said.

When asked whether there was a watchman on duty, Glen Fritzler, owner of the boat, wrote to CNN, “a crewman was in that space approximately 1/2 before the fire. Pending case cannot say anymore.” He did not respond when asked whether he meant a half hour.

Efforts to raise the wreckage began on Friday, with authorities hoping to locate the remaining bodies and gather evidence from the charred vessel, Brown said.

Crews will roll the upside-down vessel, stabilize it, and then gently lift it from the water, a process that could take days, Rochester said.

A team of investigators, including members of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, will attempt to pinpoint the cause of the fire.

“We’re looking to determine what happened and a criminal element to that is always a possibility,” Brown said. “At this point, no one has been charged criminally.”

Crew members tell investigators they tried to save passengers

The National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday that crew members told investigators they tried to rescue the 34 people who were still on board during the blaze.

“What’s emerging from the interviews, and these are individual interviews with NTSB investigators, is a harrowing story of the moments before the fire erupted on the vessel,” NTSB board member Jennifer Homendy said.

One crew member said he awoke to a noise and left his bunk to see flames erupting from the galley area below, Homendy said. The galley was above the sleeping quarters of the guests

The crew members tried to get down the ladder from the galley to the sleeping area, but it was engulfed in flames. They were forced to go down to the main deck from the bridge, and one of them broke their leg getting down, according to Homendy.

‘The crew had to jump from the boat’

A chart showing the layout of the bunk room on the website of the company that owns the Conception, Truth Aquatics, appears to show the main way in and out of the bunk room is through the galley.

After reaching the main deck, the crew members went to the double doors of the galley to try to get to the passengers, but it was engulfed in flames, NTSB investigators were told.

They then tried and failed to get in through a window in the front of the vessel, Homendy said at the press conference.

“At that point, due to heat, flames and smoke, the crew had to jump from the boat,” Homendy said.

Some crew members swam to a skiff on the back of the boat, picked up the other crew and they made their way to a nearby vessel to call 911, Homendy said.

“At that point, they left the vessel and turned back to the Conception in the skiff to try to rescue any survivors,” she said.

The NTSB will evaluate whether there were “issues with evacuation or responses” or “escape survival factors,” she said.

Officials interviewed the owner-operator of the dive boat, Homendy said, without giving any details.

The 34 people feared dead in a California dive boat fire likely got trapped when the roaring blaze blocked their escape routes and confined them to the lower sleeping deck, authorities said.

CNN’s Stella Chan, Chris Boyette and Theresa Waldrop, contributed to this report.