Paris Saint-Germain’s sporting director Leonardo has quashed rumors surrounding Neymar’s foot injury and the Brazilian’s future at the club.
“Neymar’s injury is completely fixed,” Leonardo told French radio station RMC on Thursday. “He is controlled by the world’s leading doctors and surgeons and the fracture to his fifth metatarsal has healed.”
Leonardo was speaking after French daily newspaper Le Parisien reported that Neymar’s fifth metatarsal remains at risk of injury.
Neymar, 27, has been sidelined with two foot injuries since arriving in the French capital in 2017 – first in February 2018 and then in January 2019. Last year, while celebrating his birthday on crutches, he said: “What I wanted most as a birthday present today is a new metatarsal.”
The Brazilian forward is currently recovering from a separate injury to his ankle, which he sustained while on international duty in a friendly against Qatar in June and ruled him out Brazil’s triumphant Copa America campaign.
Neymar took no part in in PSG’s Ligue 1 opener on Sunday which saw Edinson Cavani, Kylian Mbappe and Angel di Maria all score in a 3-0 victory over Nimes.
During the match at the Parc de Princes, some fans unfurled disparaging banners directed at the Brazilian, who during the summer months has repeatedly been linked with a move away from the French champion.
In the RMC interview, Leonardo also dampened down that transfer speculation. “It’s wrong,” said Leonardo. “He’s a PSG player, he’s still in Paris for three years.”