01:08 - Source: CNN
Protesters rally for justice for Stephon Clark
CNN —  

The family of Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man fatally shot by Sacramento police last year, has reached a verbal settlement with the city, according to court records.

The family filed a $20 million wrongful death lawsuit against the officers involved in the shooting and the city of Sacramento in January.

“After discussions with the Court, parties reached a verbal settlement as to the claims against defendants brought by A.C., C.C., and their guardians, subject to Sacramento City Council approval,” the court filling said.

A.C. and C.C. are Clark’s minor children.

The exact terms of the settlement have been sealed by the court.

“A final settlement has not been reached and the Sacramento City Council has not approved a settlement,” said Sacramento city spokesman Tim Swanson.

The federal lawsuit was filed on behalf of Clark’s sons, his parents and grandparents. It contended the officers used excessive force in the shooting incident and that Stephon was a victim of racial profiling.

Clark was shot seven times on March 18, 2018, in his grandparent’s backyard. Authorities have said the two Sacramento officers who shot Clark were responding to a report that a man had broken car windows and was hiding in a backyard. Police said the officers who fired at Clark believed he was pointing a gun at them, but investigators determined Clark was actually carrying a cell phone.

The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office and the California Attorney General’s Office said in March that the officers will not face criminal charges.

CNN has reached out to the Clark family attorney for comment.

CNN’s Stella Chan contributed to this report.