david beasley cnni 5/20
CNN
david beasley cnni 5/20
Now playing
01:03
Official's impassioned response to aid in Yemen
ITN
Now playing
01:15
Prince Charles speaks following Prince Philip's death
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 10: The Honourable Artillery Company fire a gun salute at The Tower of London on April 10, 2021 in London, United Kingdom.  The Death Gun Salute will be fired at 1200 marking the death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Across the country and the globe saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds, 1 round at the start of each minute, for 40 minutes. Gun salutes are customarily fired, both on land and at sea, as a sign of respect or welcome. The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Carter, said "His Royal Highness has been a great friend, inspiration and role model for the Armed Forces and he will be sorely missed." (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 10: The Honourable Artillery Company fire a gun salute at The Tower of London on April 10, 2021 in London, United Kingdom. The Death Gun Salute will be fired at 1200 marking the death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Across the country and the globe saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds, 1 round at the start of each minute, for 40 minutes. Gun salutes are customarily fired, both on land and at sea, as a sign of respect or welcome. The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Carter, said "His Royal Highness has been a great friend, inspiration and role model for the Armed Forces and he will be sorely missed." (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Now playing
02:03
Prince Philip tributes pour in from around the world
CNN Weather
Now playing
01:35
Powerful Tropical Cyclone Seroja takes aim at Western Australia
Ash rises into the air as La Soufriere volcano erupts on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, seen from Chateaubelair, Friday, April 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Orvil Samuel)
Orvil Samuel/AP
Ash rises into the air as La Soufriere volcano erupts on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, seen from Chateaubelair, Friday, April 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Orvil Samuel)
Now playing
00:58
See the looming clouds of ash over La Soufrière volcano
People view flowers left in front of the gate at Buckingham Palace in London, after the announcement of the death of Britain's Prince Philip, Friday, April 9, 2021. Buckingham Palace officials say Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died. He was 99. Philip spent a month in hospital earlier this year before being released on March 16 to return to Windsor Castle.
Matt Dunham/AP
People view flowers left in front of the gate at Buckingham Palace in London, after the announcement of the death of Britain's Prince Philip, Friday, April 9, 2021. Buckingham Palace officials say Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died. He was 99. Philip spent a month in hospital earlier this year before being released on March 16 to return to Windsor Castle.
Now playing
01:54
Tributes to Prince Philip pour in from around the world
Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt in central London on August 2, 2017.  
After a lifetime of public service by the side of his wife Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip finally retires on August 2, 2017,at the age of 96. The Duke of Edinburgh attended a parade of Royal Marines at Buckingham Palace, the last of 22,219 solo public engagements since she ascended to the throne in 1952.
 / AFP PHOTO / POOL / HANNAH MCKAY        (Photo credit should read HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images)
HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images
Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt in central London on August 2, 2017. After a lifetime of public service by the side of his wife Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip finally retires on August 2, 2017,at the age of 96. The Duke of Edinburgh attended a parade of Royal Marines at Buckingham Palace, the last of 22,219 solo public engagements since she ascended to the throne in 1952. / AFP PHOTO / POOL / HANNAH MCKAY (Photo credit should read HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:39
The life of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
screengrab myanmar ambassador to UK
CNN
screengrab myanmar ambassador to UK
Now playing
01:02
Video shows Myanmar's ambassador 'locked out' of embassy
King Abdullah II of Jordan and his half brother, former crown prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein
AFP/Getty Images
King Abdullah II of Jordan and his half brother, former crown prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein
Now playing
02:39
Jordan's King breaks silence about family fallout
CNN
Now playing
06:13
Inside Iraq's crippling crystal meth crisis
Now playing
05:27
Myanmar special envoy: It is time for the world to stop another genocide
Navalny tea
Life.RU
Navalny tea
Now playing
02:44
Videos show Putin critic inside prison
Norwegian Coastal Administration
Now playing
00:34
Video shows dramatic crew rescue after ship lost power during storm
This picture shows the interior of Palais Vivienne apartment, owned by French collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon, on April 5, 2021. - The lawyer of Pierre-Jean Chalencon, owner of the "Palais Vivienne", implicated by a report from French channel M6 for clandestine dinners in Paris, told AFP on April 4th that his client was only "joking" when he declared ministers participated in such meals. Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz opened a criminal investigation on alleged dinners banned during the pandemic. - RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by Thomas COEX / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images)
Thomas Coex/AFP/Getty Images
This picture shows the interior of Palais Vivienne apartment, owned by French collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon, on April 5, 2021. - The lawyer of Pierre-Jean Chalencon, owner of the "Palais Vivienne", implicated by a report from French channel M6 for clandestine dinners in Paris, told AFP on April 4th that his client was only "joking" when he declared ministers participated in such meals. Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz opened a criminal investigation on alleged dinners banned during the pandemic. - RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by Thomas COEX / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images)
Now playing
00:38
Video shows Paris elite enjoying secret dinner parties amid pandemic
Shutterstock
Now playing
02:54
A timeline of the Iran nuclear deal so far
Houthi handout
Now playing
04:23
Yemen's Houthis step up attacks on Saudi Arabia
(CNN) —  

The United Nations is threatening to suspend aid that helps thousands of destitute Yemenis following a CNN investigation that exposed the theft or “diversion” of food aid by Houthi rebels.

David Beasley, head of the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP), told CNN’s Becky Anderson that up to $15 million worth of food a month was not making it to the desperate people for whom it was intended.

Children are dying as a result, he said, and his organization had to “hold strong” to try to get a breakthrough.

CNN’s weekslong undercover investigation inside Yemen found documents indicating families had received aid when they said they had not, as well as entire villages where no supplies had made it through for weeks amid an ongoing spat between the WFP and the Houthi rebels who control much of the country.

Beasley said the WFP goal was to feed 12 million Yemenis this year, nearly half of the population, but the persistent theft of aid meant deliveries might have to stop if they cannot be monitored.

“If we don’t have a breakthrough, we will have to suspend our operations in some areas where we have concerns,” Beasley said on “Connect the World.”

Beasley said he appealed again to Houthi leadership to stop the “diversion” of aid, or what he called “theft.”

“Innocent children are dying now because we can’t get the aid to them, because of this aid diversion and the lack of giving us the access we need. So, if we can hold strong and do what’s right, hopefully the international community can bring pressure to bear on all the Houthi leadership to allow us to do what’s right,” he added.

The accusation is that supplies are stolen for people other than intended recipients or sold for cash.
Brice Laine/CNN
The accusation is that supplies are stolen for people other than intended recipients or sold for cash.

CNN has reached out to Houthi officials for their reaction.

When confronted with the results of our investigation, Hussin Al-Ezzi, the deputy foreign minister of the rebel government in Sanaa, rejected accusations that aid was being diverted from needy populations to go to supporters or fighters, or to be sold.

“Mistakes happen sometimes, but this doesn’t mean or doesn’t represent a policy on our side. We are happy with whatever aid reaches citizens, because these citizens are our strength and support,” he told CNN.

Issham Beshir is 2 years old but yet to take her first steps. Her family in Bani Qais are among those who have gone weeks without aid.
Brice Laine/CNN
Issham Beshir is 2 years old but yet to take her first steps. Her family in Bani Qais are among those who have gone weeks without aid.

Asked about the scale of aid diversion he believes is happening, Beasley said it involved “a lot of money.”

“We now are receiving about $150 million per month to feed 10 to 12 million people,” he said, adding these people were on the brink of starvation and could die without the aid

“What we’ve calculated is it could be anywhere from 5 to 10% [of aid going missing], but we don’t know for certain because we don’t have the monitoring system in place. This is our dilemma.”

Beasley said the WFP was not asking anything different of Houthi officials than they ask of governments elsewhere in the world receiving aid.

“All we’re asking simply is let us do our job. Let us help the innocent people of Yemen.”